Vaccum Sealer or Jar Sealer for Storing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL1kebeer

Reaction score
Looking into a jar sealer with a handheld pump or a vaccum sealer for storing hops. I don't own either and I'm looking to buy one or the other. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them?

I use a jar sealer because I don't want to have to keep spending money on bags. More 02 remains in the jars, of course, and they take up more room in the freezer than bags, but you can re-use them endlessly. I've been happy with the convenience of the jar sealer, and the hops have been preserved pretty effectively. I'm pretty unhappy with the quality of the battery, though. It's only taking a partial charge after being re-charged, maybe, 10 times over 1.5 years. I seem to recall that other people have complained about this, too.

If you get a vacuum sealer you can usually get a jar sealer attachment for it. Best of both worlds at that point. I'm really happy with my Foodsaver, it gets used for brewing stuff and food stuff all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vacuum sealer (foodsaver) for hops, DME (used for starters), and for specialty grains after I open the bag. The unit I have has the jar attachment but I've never used it.

Using the foodsaver too. The bags used at LHBS for DME and grains works in the machine too so that is a double bonus. Then I just jar seal the hops.

I tried jars for leaf hops and it was pure insanity. Way too much space. For pellets it's not as bad, but I've switched to using bags.

I use a brake bleeder hand pump with mason jars and a sealing ring. It's a bit of a pain, but I just didn't feel like I needed to buy more plastic crap, and then seal stuff in even more disposable plastic crap. Already have dozens of jars for canning.

I use a Foodsaver with the mason jar attachment. It is fantastic for storing pellet hops!! A pound of hops fits perfectly in a quart mason jar. I like it because you just measure out what you need and vacuum seal the jar again.

Back