Usual Results with Whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StMarcos

Reaction score
This is what's left in the kettle after a 17gal batch of Scottish ale. Whole hops, bittering only. Three tabs of whirlfloc for 15 minutes. I use a plastic mash paddle, which bends a lot, and makes me want to invest in a stainless stirrer. Maybe 30-45 seconds of violent stirring. It's a good idea to put the lid on after the stirring. If you don't, cooling at the surface tends to create an up/down mixing, which disturbs the cone. I only waited 5 minutes before draining off at full bore. I tilt the kettle a bit at the very end, and collect pretty much all the wort.

Easy-peazey

whirlpool.jpg

Do you use a screen for your pick up tube? I've been thinking of adding one to mine. Looks great!

Yeah, it's a tube of stainless mesh that is held on to a bit of 1/2'' copper with a hose clamp. The other end, inside the mesh, is cut at an angle to be flush with the side of the pot more or less.

Back