Using WY1318 in Kettle Sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isomerization

Reaction score
I really enjoy the yeast character WY1318 provides in IPAs and I also love fruited kettle sours (sometimes dry hopped). So, why not combine the two? I normally use US-05 with great results, FYI.

Does anyone have experience with the pH tolerance of this strain? I haven't had issues with attenuation (under normal conditions) in this strain, but observations there are worthwhile too.

Thanks all!

Yeah I’ve used it for a quick sour...came out enjoyable:
http://www.laundrybrewing.com/2017/02/mosaic-quick-sour.html

Seemed to be fine with the low ph.

Cool blog! I recall coming across that before, but had forgotten about it. I didn't see whether you measured pH after kettle souring? I typically get down to 3.1-3.2 with OYL-605 after 48 hr. I'm going to try it (prob next month) regardless, maybe I'll just make a bigger starter than normal.

Cool blog! I recall coming across that before, but had forgotten about it. I didn't see whether you measured pH after kettle souring? I typically get down to 3.1-3.2 with OYL-605 after 48 hr. I'm going to try it (prob next month) regardless, maybe I'll just make a bigger starter than normal.

Thank you!

I do measure the ph after souring but I didn't record it for this beer. The one before it was 3.18 with the same lacto and S04. And I should say it's not clear in my blog post but I don't kettle sour. I cool to around 100....transfer to my fermentor, pitch the lacto and let it ride with the temp control set to around 90...for the first day...let it glide down on it's own the second day...turn the temp control back on (set to yeast pitch temp) that evening for my yeast pitch the next morning. I'm sure it continues to sour somewhat until I dry hop. I get an assertive souring for sure with lacto plantarum. A little too much sometimes for my taste. Kettle souring probably would be the way to go (in order to stop it), but my wife prefers them really sour...so...well...that's how that works.

The big yeast pitch gave me piece of mind. 1318 chewed right though this beer (1.009).

Last edited:
Thank you!

I do measure the ph after souring but I didn't record it for this beer. The one before it was 3.18 with the same lacto and S04. And I should say it's not clear in my blog post but I don't kettle sour. I cool to around 100....transfer to my fermentor, pitch the lacto and let it ride with the temp control set to around 90...for the first day...let it glide down on it's own the second day...turn the temp control back on (set to yeast pitch temp) that evening for my yeast pitch the next morning. I'm sure it continues to sour somewhat until I dry hop. I get an assertive souring for sure with lacto plantarum. A little too much sometimes for my taste. Kettle souring probably would be the way to go (in order to stop it), but my wife prefers them really sour...so...well...that's how that works.

The big yeast pitch gave me piece of mind. 1318 chewed right though this beer (1.009).

Okay that sounds pretty close to what I'm working with pH wise. I prefer to keep my gear lacto free, so I sour in my sour-only fermenters (great for preventing O2 ingress and extra grub removal) and then boil after 48 hrs.

Looks like you hit 75% attenuation with a super low mash, so that's probably enough evidence to over pitch 1318, can't really hurt on our scale!

Latest posts

Back