Using real gingerbread cookies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
As the fall comes around, I've got the urge to make a gingerbread flavored ale, probably a brown porter.

I've read a number of recipes using the spices and molasses that can be found in gingerbread.

Has anyone actually used ground up gingerbread cookies in the recipe? I've seen recipes using graham crackers, but not gingerbread. If so, can you point me in that direction? I don't know if the cookies have enough flavor to pass onto the beer or if you still have to supplement with spices. Also, whether you would mash with it or just add to secondary, etc?
Thanks

Graham crackers go virtually unnoticed in beer. I would think you'd need too many cookies to get the flavor to come through without adding too much shortening via the cookies. Good ginger snaps have plenty of shortening.

A friend of mine made an Oreo stout. Although it was great, he said he used a lot of cookies and the sludge from those cookies was horrible and ate up a lot of the beer.

I'd suggest using spices to replicate the flavor you're after.

Back