Using Keg as secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azlane

Reaction score
I have an AHS Vienna Lager that is still bubbling a couple per minute after 16 days and have a couple of questions.

I have not done the rest yet and was wondering if some people do the entire fermentation and lagering in the carboy vs racking to a secondary?

The recipe called for doing the rest after 10 days but I added malto dextrin and alcohol boost so that may be why I am still seeing bubbles this late. Ferm started after 24 hrs and I have been at 52 degrees since.

I would like to do a 2-3 day rest at 70 degrees and then rack to my keg to lager for a few weeks (and then serve from that keg after carbonating).

Interested in your feedback.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

I have an RIS in secondary in a keg right now in the basement. It's been there since March. This is the second time I've done it and it works great. I purge the air with some CO2 after I seal it up, and no muss or fuss worrying about airlocks running dry or anything.

For lagers, I generally have them in the fermenter for about 7 days before doing the diacetyl rest (you want the yeast to still be active, so it sounds like now is the time for yours), and then rack to the keg after that. I then lager at 34 degrees or so for 1 week for each 8-10 points of OG. So, for a 1.050 OG later, that's 5-7 weeks or so. Then I serve out of the keg as well, unless I"m taking the keg out of the kegerator or moving it. If I'm taking the keg somewhere, I"ll jump it to a new keg to avoid mixing up the sediment.

Thanks everyone. I am actually getting 6-7 bubbles per minute so I am wondering if I should wait a bit longer before doing the 70 degree rest?

Latest posts

Back