Using Grains from the Kitchen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has made something using different
grains from the kitchen. I have a package of Nottingham yeast and I think I also have some S-04 yeast in another spot. I need to use them up, and right now I'm unemployed. I do not want to spend money, or as little as possible on barley/wheat/malts/hops.

In a very simple to understand way, has anyone made a all grain using rice (minuet or brown rice), instant grits, rolled oats, or even something such as flour ( I have bread, whole wheat, all purpose, and self rising)?

I also know I have some lactose sugar downstairs and could add white, brown, molasses, and sugar in the raw for extra sugar.

Any information you may have would be helpful, as this will probably be fairly experimental. I would like to make a 5 gal batch, 3 gal is the what I use to steep grains. I can also do two mashes and combine them in the carboy.

If you're willing to pony up for just a little 2 row (for the enzymes) and just 1 or 2oz of hops, you could make 5gal of a decent cream ale with as much as about 2/3 of your grain bill from a combo of your minute rice, instant grits, etc.

About how many lbs and what hops work best for a cream ale? Been thinking of making one but have never looked at a recipe. I normally make cider or darker beers.

If you want to use a lot of grainy adjuncts, you'll need to use a high diastatic malt to convert the starches to fermentable sugars. 6-row barley is among the highest in diastatic power (DP), at least 180, possibly higher, depending on the maltster.

Make sure to keep the average DP of your total grist above 30-35. When the DP is in that lowish range, mashing longer at lower temps (148F) will help to obtain complete conversion.

Pretty much any grain can be used that way (e.g., raw wheat, raw barley, rye, oats, millet) if milled finely enough. Some need to be gelatinized by boiling or cereal mashing to expose the starches to the enzymes.

As crazy as it sounds, buy your grains in larger quantities, from wholesalers, much cheaper than by the pound. Minute rice, instant-whatever, and all other easy cook products are never a bargain.

Also buy a couple hops by the pound ($10-25) and freeze them, they'll keep for a few years that way, while you use them up. Squeeze as much air out of them and tape em shut between uses, or vacuum seal in 1 oz packages.

Reuse your yeast.

Head on over to the recipe section and look at Cream of 3 Crops.

It uses barley, corn, and rice. It will give you a great example of ratios to use and the hops bill as well.

You could make a hoppy cider with some apple juice. Doesn't get much easier or cheaper than a cider.

Back