Using fishing line on oak spirals- is this bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formula2fast

Reaction score
I am planning to tie some fishing line to my oak spirals so I can pull them out of the secondary once the flavor profile is right.

Can the line have any negative effect on the beer (leeching, off flavors, etc...)? I assume it is safe but want to be sure.

I have had it soaking in starsan for the last week.

I would get a hop bag and put the spirals in the bag and remove when your ready. You could tie the fishing line to the bag for removal. The only advice I would give with fishing line would be to use monofillamet instead of braided to lessen the chance of the line harboring bacteria.

I guess I can't say if there is anything "wrong/bad" with using fishing line. But, I can tell you I have a stainless steel mesh tube I have dry hopped with in the keg - I attached 20 lb. monofilament to it to pull it out of the keg after a few days. I put the fishing line right in star san with the SS tube. Whether it is good or bad, I don't know - but I did it, and had no perceived ill effects.

You could also just rack off and keg or bottle at the point where it tastes "right" - unless that is going to mess up some other aspect of the beer.

My plan was to pull the spirals out when the oak is right because it is then getting vanilla beans and cacoa nibs. I am unsure of how long the oak will need to give me what I am looking for, so I did not want to throw everything in all at once.

I did get monofilament line, I just wasn't sure if it was safe to have it submerged in the beer. Perhaps putting the oak in a muslin bag and putting the line on the bag so it is not submerged in the beer would be a good way to do this.

Why not the tried and true unwaxed dental floss? Cheaper and available in every drug store 24 hours a day (in some places).

Hasn't dental floss and fishing line been used for dry hopping with hop bags since the dawn of ages? I can't imagine that 1) anything could be seriously wrong by doing so and 2) that we wouldn't know so by now, if that was the case :)

Latest posts

Back