Using Elderberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawbossFogg

Reaction score
I threw this in Lambic/wild cause if I I toss elderberries in primary or the like I'll be introducing something wild for sure.

Anyway, I'm brewing up 10 gallons of a simple malt bill with WL American Farmhouse blend and I picked 12 oz of ripe elderberries and was thinking about throwing them in the mix. Any suggestions about process or timing? I was thinking about throwing them into the fermentor after at least 50% attenuation in primary which will pr be about 24 hours.

Cheers

Introducing elderberries may not necessarily introduce a wild bug to a beer, most of the time when you get them they've been dried, making them pretty decently clean, about as much as hops for dry hopping. Why are you set on dropping them in the primary after half of fermentation is done? Why not secondary like a dry hop or towards the tail end of a boil like aroma hops?

Even if the elderberries are clean you have brett in that farmhouse blend, so it's "wild". 12 oz. isn't much for any fruit and adding to primary will drive off some of their character. I would do it in secondary, and I think most people here will agree that secondary is best for fruit additions.

Even if the elderberries are clean you have brett in that farmhouse blend, so it's "wild". 12 oz. isn't much for any fruit and adding to primary will drive off some of their character. I would do it in secondary, and I think most people here will agree that secondary is best for fruit additions.

Thanks, that the feedback I was looking for. I'm really happy with the product I have sampling now, so think the elderberries are a no go.

Latest posts

Back