Using Campden Tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years but have never used Campden tablets which are meant to remove chlorine from the water. Most of my brews have had an inexplicable "twang" off-flavor, it tastes plastic-y. I've been doing a little research on these tablets but there is a LOT of mixed information out there. Hopefully you experts can clear some things up.

1) Do Campden tablets treat BOTH chlorine and chroramine?
2) How do I know if my water contains chloramine? My city water report only lists chlorine at 0.81ppm. No mention of chloramine.
3) I brew 8 gallon batches with 10-11 gallons of strike water. Can I just use 1 whole tablet and call it a day?
4) Can these tablet cause headaches (from sulfites)?
5) Can I just add the tablet to the mash water?
6) Will these tablets mess up my other water chemistry calculations?
7) Do they effect mash pH?

Thanks!

EDIT: Ward Labs did test my water but it did not say anything about chlorine or chloramine. I got their home brew test which I guess doesn't include these.

I've been brewing for a few years but have never used Campden tablets which are meant to remove chlorine from the water. Most of my brews have had an inexplicable "twang" off-flavor, it tastes plastic-y. I've been doing a little research on these tablets but there is a LOT of mixed information out there. Hopefully you experts can clear some things up.

2) How do I know if my water contains chloramine? My city water report only lists chlorine at 0.81ppm. No mention of chloramine.
3) I brew 8 gallon batches with 10-11 gallons of strike water. Can I just use 1 whole tablet and call it a day?

Thanks!

There are some folks here who are incredibly knowledgeable about everything water who will be able to give you much better (and more qualified) answers than my own. In the meantime, this is how I understand it:

1) Yes, although our only real concern is with chloramine since chlorine will naturally off gas and can also be boiled off.
2) Have your own water report done through a company such as Ward Labs, will be much more helpful than the city water report that is usually a few years old and doesn't have everything you will need, in my experiences.
3) 1 tablet treats 20 gallons of water, so a half tablet would treat 10 gallons.
4) I have never experienced this and since you are a) using a small amount, and b) negating some of it with contact to chlorine and chloramine, I wouldn't think it likely you'd notice any side effects.
5) I treat both my mash water AND my sparge water.
6) Again, the amount is so small etc that it really doesn't have enough effect on water profile to worry too much about it.
7) Same as above

There are some folks here who are incredibly knowledgeable about everything water who will be able to give you much better (and more qualified) answers than my own. In the meantime, this is how I understand it:

Thanks for the reply! Ward did test my water but the results did not include anything about chloramine (or chlorine for that matter). I got their home brew test. My thought is that I can just toss in a Campden tablet (or half) and forget about it. If it removes chlorine/chloramine then great. If there isn't any to remove then whatever, no damage done. Kind of like we do with Whrilfloc or a yeast nutrient.

Thanks for the reply! Ward did test my water but the results did not include anything about chloramine (or chlorine for that matter). I got their home brew test. My thought is that I can just toss in a Campden tablet (or half) and forget about it. If it removes chlorine/chloramine then great. If there isn't any to remove then whatever, no damage done. Kind of like we do with Whrilfloc or a yeast nutrient.

Plus 1. Think of the campden tab as insurance, it is cheap and can't hurt anything...only help. I add 1/2 tab per 5G batch when I am dissolving my other brewing salts. I usually let the additions just sit an hour or so to dissolve in my filled brew kettle while I am milling my grains and getting my equipment in order to start.

1) Yes!
2) Odds are about 50/50 that your city uses chloramine. If they don't today then they probably will a few years from now, as it's become the new standard.
3) Yes!
4) Probably not since you'll react most of it away, if not all.
5) Crush the tablet and add to your water prior to mixing with any grains.
6) No
7) No, I don't believe so, or the change is so tiny that you can safely ignore it.

Using Campden I think you will resolve your problem. Cheers!

Call or email your city water department and ask what they use- chlorine or chloramine.
That's what I did.

Latest posts

Back