Using apricots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Putting together a recipe for an apricot IPA and had a couple questions about using them.

*Using canned I am gathering preference is to drain, rinse then heat to 160 and hold for 10 minutes to "pasteurize". Am I correct on this aspect?

*I have also read mixed responses of people adding during primary and others during secondary, is this more a preferential thing? Pros and cons of either?

*I remember reading that apricot is actually not preferential (can't locate the info right now) but another fruit is actually used that gives off a more "peach flavor" than using actual peaches, myth or truth?

*What is an average lb:gal ratio to start with?

I have done a lot of searching and finding limited responses in these areas dealing specifically with this type of fruit (Peaches/Nectarines/Apricots)
Keep in mind I will not use extract so this is not a valid suggestion.

I brewed up a Magic Hat #9 clone last year and used 3 lbs of the Vintners Harvest Apricot puree. I added the puree to the secondary. I'm pretty sure the yeast during initial stages of primary would kill most of the flavor. That's all I got. Hopefully someone can fill in the rest for you.

If you are using canned fruit there is really no reason to re-pasteurize it, as it was pasteurized when canned.

as for amount I have used 1 lb/gal in a wheat beer which worked pretty well. depending on where you want it you could go up or down from there. Apricot is a milder flavored fruit than some (blackberries ect) but does impart a little more flavor than white or yellow peaches.

Although it is probably obvious, I will through it out there anyway. stay away from dried fruit, it normally has sulfur containing preservatives, which make fro an incredibly horrid smelling beer.

-chickens

So far this past two months I have brewed two beers with apricot. The first is mostly wheat (7 lbs Maris Otter/5 lbs white wheat), and the second is more of an ale, maybe 20% wheat with quite a bit of Citra hops, and a little Centennial.

The reason I'm posting is that both tasted surprisingly tart 1 week after adding a can of apricot pureee to the secondary (vinter's harvest, big can). I didn't like the apricot flavor, but it improved quite a bit with 4 oz Brewer's Best apricot extract. Still tart though. The more-wheat beer has been bottle conditioning for about 10 days now, and I just kegged the less-wheat last night. We'll see how this all shakes out in a few weeks.

I do an Apricot Blonde every year, it is a fantastic summer beer. Tastes more like peach than peach beers I've had. I don't like the extract, I use puree, and it comes out great. Dry Dock won a gold, I believe, for this beer, they mix puree and extract.

I think Apricots are one of the best fruits for beer. 1-2lb per gallon, I would start low and add more next time if you want to.

Thanks for the replies, giving me some good ideas and information to work with and consider.

Back