Using a boil kettle valve without a pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jglazer

Reaction score
I just got a new kettle with a valve on it, brewed my first batch in it, but after I cooled the wort with an immersion chiller, I didn't want to use the valve because I felt it wasn't completely sanitized (because I didn't run any boiling wort through it) and I didn't want to run the cooled wort through it.

Should I run some wort through it at the end of the boil before cooling, or can I just clean it well before boiling and then cool then wort and pass it through the valve into the carboy without worrying about infection? I don't have a pump so I guess I could just run some boiling wort through it into something then pour it back into the kettle...how much wort should I run through it to sanitize adequately?

You just spray some all over the inside of the valve after you've cooled the wort but before you start running it through?

I do not think it is a problem to just run it out of the valve.
The kettle and valve have been heated for the entire boil and are pretty much sanitized (perhaps even sanitized). As long as you do not knowingly get any nasty critters into the opening on the valve, I do not think it would even be a problem.
You could always give a quick couple of squirts of StarSan into the valve (after chilling) and let it sit for a minute before transfer, but I have never once had a problem or infection that I could attribute to dirty valve on my BK.

Ok cool, I've just heard people with pumps always circulate hot wort through their valves to sanitize before cooling, so I assumed I had to do something similar.

Thanks!

They are running it through to sanitize the pump, not the valve. That valve is getting hot hot hot, it is sanitizing with the heat. The starsan spray is a good precaution though.

Now that I have heard of!!

The hot wort is circulated through the PUMP to sanitize it.

I do the same thing with by circulating StarSan through my pump for about 5 minutes before using it. That way my pump and the 4ft section of silicone hose are all sanitized for the transfer.

Latest posts

Back