Using a blowoff tube with large-mouthed vessels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C38368

Reaction score
How does one adapt a piece of 1" blowoff tubing to fit, say, a 6 gallon carboy with a two-inch mouth?

I ask because my yeast are getting REALLY feisty! I had an inch of krausen this morning at 7. Now, four hours later, I have foam bubbling up into my airlock. Bloody thing will probably pop before I can actually do anything to change the airlock situation, but in the meantime... does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think I can get a stopper with a large enough bore to do it that way, and I don't have a particularly effective way to bore out my own.

Cheers!

A drilled out #9 or #10 might work, or as-is with a smaller tube. I've never seen a carboy with a 2" opening, even big mexican acid carboys.

Even these ancient 8 gallon ones will take a standard 1"ID 1-1/4"OD hose.
fullcarboysjpgtplq.jpg

If you are talking about a BetterBottle as a carboy, I ran into this last week.

I went to the hardware store and picked up some 3/8" or 5/16" DI vinyl tube that just barely squeezed into the hole in my #10 BB stopper and ran it down into a 1g water bottle as an air lock. It seemed to work fine but it was noisy for a couple of days :)

I plan on getting another #10 and drilling it out for a bigger blow off tube for my next batch.

Cheers!

I think I have a generic Better Bottle, whose mouth at least looks to me quite a bit larger. Maybe I wasn't playing with the right size hose?

Either way, I now feel a bit silly. I just assumed that they wouldn't fit, and I'd have to rig something up, and I'm not very good with rigging things up. Oh well, worst case scenario I'll just have one more story to go with the adventure that is this batch!

It doesn't have to be sealed, just put the 1" tubing in the bottle and wrap a wash cloth soaked in StarSan around it...it can anchor it all with tape if you need something to hold it in place.

I used the white pipe thread cover stuff ( brain fart on what it's called) and jus wrapped the out side of the pipe really well until it was snug. No leaks or any issues.

thanks.

those were built so two people could carry them. those carboys are heavy and not replacable. I cant find them anywhere. I don't even know who made them originally.

Latest posts

Back