Used grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amfukuda

Reaction score
I'm looking to start crushing my own grain at home and start buying grain in bulk. My question is would it be wise to buy a used mill. If so is there a brand I should look for or anything else I might need to know

If you are buying something like a Barley Crusher or Monster Mill used, go for it. I would not but a used Corona type mill as those are cheap enough new. I am sure some may argue with my take though.

I just bought a used barley mill and I love it! Hit my og perfect on both batches ive done. I think it also has a lifetime warranty so thats a plus! Id say dont hesitate to buy one if the rollers seem to be in good shape

I love my Barley Crusher! I have the 7lb ...works great, perfect crush. New is about $109 + shipping through the Beersmith site.

I love my Barley Crusher! I have the 7lb ...works great, perfect crush. New is about $109 + shipping through the Beersmith site.

Have you ever tried to put exactly 7lbs in the hopper? I feel like it is too small and wouldnt hold that much

That what it seemed like to me. Youd really have to mound it on and i still dont think you could get 7 lbs in there

I haven't ...usually run about 5 lbs at a time ...it is more a 5lb hopper.

This, never been able to get 7 pounds in mine. Even tested one time with a 14 pound grain bill. Filled it all the way up, grinded empty, filled it all the way up again and still had a good half hopper of grain left for a third run.

Still though, the thing works great. Just make sure you keep it cleaned up well. If the rollers seem to not be running as smooth as you think, take it apart, you've probably got gunk build up around the edges of the rollers. I just did a thorough cleaning of mine last week and was amazed at how much crap was on the ends of the rollers. Especially when it gets a huge air blasting after every crush.

So if I was to by a uses one what would be a fair price and why should I look for to make sure it's in decent shape

So if I was to by a uses one what would be a fair price and why should I look for to make sure it's in decent shape

ID say anywhere from $40-75 is going to be fair. I paid $125 for a nice barley crusher and a 50ft stainless IC. Make sure the rollers arent too beat up and that they turn with ease

I can't see a problem with buying a quality used mill, as long as it hasn't had tons and tons of grain run through it.

The monster mill is a much better built unit than the barley crusher though.

Basically for a 2 or 3 roller mill you want the rollers to be clean, free from rust/corrosion and still have a decent amount of knurl to them (the rough teeth), and the rollers should move easily. The adjustment screws sould be straight and hold the roller in place and not be crossthreaded or have messed up the threading otherwise. Basically a well maintained roller mill will look similar to a new one with only cosmetic damage and some small wear to the rollers.

Then again this is my limited knowledge of mills. Mine looks new still, but I have only pushed a couple hundred pounds of grain through it.

Back