Used Brewer's Beast #1003 Starting Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnidons-Brewing

Reaction score
Found a listing for it, for 75$. Is that a good deal? It's used though (he said for "a few brews"). Some of the sites I found when googling had it listed at 167.99$, 139.79$, and 149.99$.

* https://www.houseofhomebrew.com/products/copy-of-brewers-best-5-gallon-equipment-kit-1003

* http://brewandwinesupply.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1698

So I'm assuming 75$ is a good deal, but with it being used, is it still a good deal?

Also is it a good equipment kit for someone starting out?

If he cleaned it well I guess it's a good deal. Honestly the brew kettle you get with those kits is pretty poor quality and if you start doing all grain with full boils the 5 gallons kettle won't cut it. You don't really need a glass carboy either. I would look into a bare bones kit like this:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/homebrew-starter-kit.html

Then find a nice 7-8 gallon kettle and get an auto siphon. It might cost more up front but it will last you a long time.

Alright, thanks for the info cswis.

Why is a 5 gallon kettle no good though?

When doing a full boil 5 gallon batch you actually start your boil with more than 5 gallons. Some of it is lost to evaporation and some to hop sediment and trub. Plus you want extra space in your kettle to prevent boil overs.

Using a 5 gallon kettle will limit you to doing only partial-boil extract batches. That's how most people start off, but it won't take long to grow out of that 5 gallon kettle.

If it's between a 7 or 8, just get the 8. However, if you are interested in doing BIAB in the future (a simpler all grain technique) I'd recommend a 10 gallon kettle at minimum.

It really comes down to how serious you plan on getting. If you think you're in this for the long haul then a large kettle is a wise investment. But if you just want to dip your toes and see if this hobby is for you, then there's nothing wrong with starting with a 5 gallon kettle.

I agree with BeerAddikt. I have a 10 gallon myself but if you're not sure it's something you want to invest money in yet the 5 gallon is ok. If you have a friend or relative that homebrews I would suggest hanging out with them for a brew day or 2 to see what all is involved and you can get a better feel for if it's something you want to seriously get into.

So if 75$ used for a 130-160$ equipment kit is 'ok', I'm thinking 40$ for an unused (unopened) Brewer's Beast Kit #1000 (amazon lists it at 69.99$) is a good deal then right?

It looks from the listings, like its a lot like the #1003 kit, plus it's unused. Just doesn't come with a pot. Which I think I can find.

So if 75$ used for a 130-160$ equipment kit is 'ok', I'm thinking 40$ for an unused (unopened) Brewer's Beast Kit #1000 (amazon lists it at 69.99$) is a good deal then right?

It looks from the listings, like its a lot like the #1003 kit, plus it's unused. Just doesn't come with a pot. Which I think I can find.

At $40, you can't go wrong. It's a good starting point. Welcome to the hobby/obsession!

Latest posts

Back