Used 1 SmackPack, BrewToad Calls for 2... re-pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdown

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I brewed a variation on azscoob's Cottage House Saison recipe on Saturday (36 hours ago) with WYEAST 3711.

I put the recipe into BrewToad today, and it has alerted me that this grain bill calls for TWO SMACK PACKS. I only used one. my recipe: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/by-3-oclock-with-nail-polish-a-south-side-saison

In hindsight, the recipe called for a starter, which I apparently glossed over.

Should I go to my LHBS and buy a 2nd smack pack and re-pitch? Or should I let it go? When I checked this morning (~30 hours into primary) the carboy was bubbling and churning nicely.

TL;DR
Recipe: (https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/by-3-oclock-with-nail-polish-a-south-side-saison) called for 2 smack packs; I only used one Wyeast 3711; fermentation appears to be lively, but should I pitch another (36 hours into primary)?

This far out, I wouldn't worry about it.

The yeast would have already propagated enough for fermentation. Proper pitching is all about bringing the yeast to an optimal colony size without causing additional stress that generate additional esters. At this point, just RDWHAHB.

Thanks for the reply!

So, in sum, I may have created an environment where the stressed yeast have created some unwanted esters, but the fermentation/attenuation should continue as planned?

Yes. There are two things that I've seen happen with under pitching.

1) Extra esters/phenols are produced because of the extra production of yeast needed to create a colony.
2) Stalled fermentation. The yeast were beaten down before a colony could be established due to the environment being too stressful.

From what you have said, I think you are more likely to see the extra esters/phenols. I would only recommend a pitch of the second pack if it was caught quickly or nothing was happening.

Thanks a ton. Since it's a Saison I hop those extra esters/phenols are less apparent. Here's to hoping for a good result!

Back