Use a Tee or wye valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently using two ball lock kegs fed from a dual regulator each with its own check valve. I plan to build out my fridge to accommodate a 3rd keg. What I’d like to know is:

Can I install a stainless Tee in the middle of the air hose and run CO2 at the same pressure off of one regulator to two kegs without adding another in-line check valve? Basically run air hoses from the part pictured at the top of the pics below.

I am most concerned about what might happen if I added an unpressurized keg while the other attached keg is at full serving pressure. I suppose I could be careful and remove the gas post from the pressurized keg until the new keg is pressurized…..

The more expensive alternative is to get a Brass WHY with 2 check valves installed on the regulator and run the hoses to each from its own check valve. Like the bottom part pictured below. images shamelessly stolen from KegConnection.com

I’d rather not use the WYE at the regulator... I’d have to drill yet another hole in the back of the fridge to pass the new air hose. Using the Tee, I could do it all in the fridge.

Thoughts? How have you all done this? Thanks! – N_G

Stainess tee.jpg

Wye_with_Brass_Check_Valve_and_Options.jpg

The T or Wye will work fine, no need to get another check valve. The only way beer would flow from one to the other would be if you filled the keg past the gas diptube anyway.

edit: remember you don't need to go to a homebrew shop to buy a simple wye fitting. McMaster has a zillion of them (http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-barbed-tube-fittings/=pjrwxr) including cheap plastic ones rated to 150 PSI. And if you have 5/16" ID gas lines, you can probably stretch them over this guy from HD:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-...c588f3&cm_mmc=CJ-_-7104034-_-11210757&cj=true

Back