US-05 Limits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I generally brew 6 gal batches, and in light of dry yeast not working in starters can a packet handle that much wort at 1.060 OG?

We will see just pitched a rehydrated packet into a 1.069 OG. I was to lazy to go to mr. malty and use the calculator. 100 things going on today and forcibly made time to brew this morning.

I generally brew 6 gal batches, and in light of dry yeast not working in starters can a packet handle that much wort at 1.060 OG?

Mr. malty says for 90% viability you'd need 1.2 packets to ferment 6 gallons at 1.060. You are slightly underpitched but as long as you keep temps low and oxygenate your wort well I think you'll be ok.

Dry yeast does work in starters btw! Most times people don't recommend making them because of the cell count per pack and adding a second packet costs $3 - which is less than the ingredients used to make a starter.

A 1/4 lb of DME only costs me ~$1.

I think I get mine well oxygenated as I use a whisk.

On my own I'm generally good at keeping the temps between 64-66*.

I don't mind slight over/under pitching.

I find US05 to be VERY forgiving and I love using it for mead. I have pitched a single packet into a 6 gallon batch of mead with an og of 1.140 fermented at 62 degrees. No off flavors noted when comparing to the batches that have been pitched at proper rates.

Wow! I'm surprised it handled that!

How does using 05 work with mead (straight mead without anything else?) vs using a wine/champagne yeast?

I think you will be fine, even without a starter. Take it for what you will, but the stated reason I've read for not using a starter with dry yeast is that the manufacturers include some reserves in the packet to get the yeast off and running quickly post-pitch, and using a starter or proofing the yeast will deplete those reserves. Re-hydration alone is supposed to be optimal for dry yeasts.

However, I'm sure lots of folks have used a starter with US-05 and had great results, just as I'm sure lots of folks just sprinkle the yeast packet onto their wort and had great results.

Personally, I just bottled an IPA that was 5.25gal at 1.077. One packet of re-hydrated US-05 got it down to 1.016 (78% attenuation), and it tastes great. :mug:

You can do a starter with dry yeast. Fermentis cautions it must be rehydrated correctly before being added to the starter wort.

I've used one packet of us-05 unhydrated for several beers between 1.045 and 1.065. All have turned out fine. I rehydrated a 1.050 beer once and noticed no difference so I just skip it now. If I do a lager with Saflager 34/70 I'll pitch 2 packets, but one packet of us-05 has served me well time and time again.

Wow! I'm surprised it handled that!

How does using 05 work with mead (straight mead without anything else?) vs using a wine/champagne yeast?

I use the US05 for sweet mead, very popular with the ladies. At the low temps I use it at, it is very clean ferment that as long as you give it proper nutrients and degass regularly stalls out around 14-15%abv vs the champaign yeasts that will go a bit higher. At 62 degrees it does take it a long time to finish (about 3 months). The mead is very drinkable right after ferment, but gets even better with a couple months bulk aging after racking to a secondary.

I love 05. Use it for all my pale beers and American wheats. I usually rehydrate and pitch, anything over 1.060 and I will throw in a second packet. I love my IPAs dry and for the price and the job it does, 05 is like a sore penis... You can't beat it ;) it doesn't take off as fast as liquid yeast, but it's my go to for American ale yeast. That being said, I prefer liquid British yeast to 04...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think there is a thread floating around right now involving things that are not necessary to homebrewing. One of those things is rehydrating dry yeast. I can easily attest to that, as others have already done on this thread.

I pitch US05 in 5/6gal batches @ 1.060 + all the time. The worst thing I've experienced was a little easter in a milk stout that ended at 8.5% abv.

I've been considering trying a starter for BRY-97 and would appreciate feedback from anyone who's experienced with this technique.

I like the way BRY-97 tastes in my American Ale and cream ale recipes. The flavor profiles are, to my taste, just right. But it always seems to start really slowly. I'm thinking that making a starter should help get the lag time down.

Pros? Cons?

edit: AA recipe usually yields OG at 1.055-1.058 - Cream ale quite a bit lower at 1.045-1.048 -- AG - 5 gal. batches

Back