US-05 in fruit wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
So, I started a batch of raspberry wine yesterday (10 lb crushed fruit, 2.5 gal water, 5.5 lb sugar, acid blend, tannin, yeast nutrient and energizer), tossed in some campden last night, and was going to pick up some Montrachet today to pitch.

Then I totally screwed up my leg, and I won't be getting out anywhere for at least a few days. I have a packet of US-05, but no wine yeast. What do you think? Worth a try? I was thinking I'd backsweeten anyway, so I'm not worried about the yeast giving out at 12% or so.

Went with the us-05 -- should be an interesting experiment, anyway, and better than wasting $30 of fruit and sugar.

Pretty sure you'll be good. My grandparents still make wine with bread yeast every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So, I'm just now tasting this, after a few rackings, and getting ready to bottle. It came out really nice, my best wine to date. Not bone dry, but dry enough that I will back sweeten a bit (a lot of tannins and tartness that I'd like to smooth out). This is much more identifiable than most of the fruit wines I've made -- a really pleasant raspberry note. Also dropped very bright and clear.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422984290.431288.jpg

Yeast dont know if you are trying to make beer, cider or wine, they just start to eat. Did it taste like beer early on and then mellow out to a wine taste? You added acid blend to a raspberry, was this just a recipe you were following as normally we dont need to add any acid to raspberry at least here on the east coast. You got a really nice color out of just 3 lb gallon. WVMJ

Yeah, this was a Jack Keller recipe. I do think it probably didn't need the extra acid, but a bit more sweetness brings it pretty well into balance (I added a tiny bit to my sample and it did help correct the flavor).

I don't really sample wines very regularly, unlike beers, so I'm not sure how the flavor evolved. I was a little concerned because of the lower alcohol tolerance of the beer yeast, but it dried out pretty nicely.

Back