URGENT Brewday Help: Steeping Grains fell in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj218

Reaction score
Trying to remove the bag for the steeping grains and it fell into the kettle and dumped all the grain (1lb) in. I have tried to scoop as much as I can out but there is still plenty in there Is this batch ruined?

Should I stop save my extract and re-do the steep with more grains?

Trying to remove the bag for the steeping grains and it fell into the kettle and dumped all the grain (1lb) in. I have tried to scoop as much as I can out but there is still plenty in there Is this batch ruined?

Should I stop save my extract and re-do the steep with more grains?

You are fine. Just pour everything through the bag into another pot catching the grains you missed and then proceed on.

Use your bag as a strainer if you have to. No big deal, live and learn.

Dont worry about sanitization at this stage. Get a fine mesh strainer if you have one and just strain out the grain by dumping your wort through the strainer into your fermenter or another pot. Return the strai ed wort to your brew pot and continue. An old tshirt, cotton towel, or even your grain bag would work if its not busted up too bad. Might require a couple people if youre handling several gallons of hot liquid.

I don't have a strainer and I doubt the bag is big enough, I will try. There really isn't too much left I get just a bit on the spoon and there is a tiny bit floating I pulled out a lot!

What bad things can happen if I leave them in?

Boiling the grain husks can extract tannins and make your beer astingent tasting. You could try to siphon it into another pot or bucket with your grain bag over the end of the siphon.

EDIT: Actually with the small amount of grain you say is left in there it will probably be fine. But I would still try to get them out.

I don't have a strainer and I doubt the bag is big enough, I will try. There really isn't too much left I get just a bit on the spoon and there is a tiny bit floating I pulled out a lot!

What bad things can happen if I leave them in?

Well nothing horrible but nothing good either. Let the grains settle to the bottom of the pot and then pour it slowly into another pot until just a little bit of liquid and the rest of the grains remain. That should be a small enough amount left that you can filter fairly easy through a coffee filter or the grain bag.

10 min into the boil. I didn't strain, but there is only a bit left (maybe an ounce). I drag the spoon on the bottom and get metal and there is just a few sitting in the foam at the top.

The beer is in the fermenter.

I tasted the sample and it tastes somewhat like a tea bag. I assume that is astringency from the grains. Will time heal this wound? Or should I dump it?

I tasted the sample and it tastes somewhat like a tea bag. I assume that is astringency from the grains. Will time heal this wound? Or should I dump it?

A combo of PVPP and gelatin will work wonders on tannins. Don't dump anything yet.

What is PVPP? When is gelatin added? Thanks!

They are both readily available fining agents. PVPP is commonly sold as Polyclar, and gelatin can be found at the supermarket. (unflavored, unscented, plain stuff of course)

Do a search for each, their preparation differs slightly. You add them once fermentation is done, after a few weeks in primary or after you rack to a keg. Let it sit a week, then rack the clear (and reduced tannin) beer away. Notice I didn't say secondary.... you will realize you don't need one 99% of the time. But that's another thread.

I agree, don't dump it. The taste of beer pre-fermentation is very hard to translate into the finished product---in a good way. If it tastes good before fermenting, it'll be good after. If it tastes bad, it'll probably still taste good when it's done. I've found bitter flavors to be far stronger as it goes into the fermentor. Haven't had experience with astringent tea-like flavors, but if I had to guess, I'd expect them to dissipate a bit.

In your situation, I'd recommend doing whatever it takes to at least the majority of the grain out. The t-shirt was a good suggestion, and heck, if you have a large spoon and some patience, just cool it some and then scoop the grain against the side of the pot, let it drain, and then toss it out one spoonful at a time...

But, in this hobby, I think investing in a stainless steel strainer would be a very good idea. Even if you don't use it every time, it can be useful in emergencies.

Or maybe you should have taken the advice you asked for. I would let it ride out now and see how it turns out.

Or maybe you should have taken the advice you asked for. I would let it ride out now and see how it turns out.

I agree, I should have, but I lacked a strainer and had nothing else big enough to poor the strained wort into. There wasn't much of the meslin bag left to use (even when cut open) to act as a strainer, and I wasn't about to risk burns holding it with my hands.

Pretty pissed I did this, stupid mistake on my part. :mad:

They are both readily available fining agents. PVPP is commonly sold as Polyclar, and gelatin can be found at the supermarket. (unflavored, unscented, plain stuff of course)

Do a search for each, their preparation differs slightly. You add them once fermentation is done, after a few weeks in primary or after you rack to a keg. Let it sit a week, then rack the clear (and reduced tannin) beer away. Notice I didn't say secondary.... you will realize you don't need one 99% of the time. But that's another thread.

First, thanks so much for the help.

So would I add Polyclar or Gelatin in like I would priming sugar or do it before I transfer to bottling bucket? I assume you sterilize the water then add the gelatin or Polyclar.

I don't usually do a secondary, but would it be easier to transfer to a secondary if I add Polyclar or Gelatin?

tj218 said:
I agree, I should have, but I lacked a strainer and had nothing else big enough to poor the strained wort into. There wasn't much of the meslin bag left to use (even when cut open) to act as a strainer, and I wasn't about to risk burns holding it with my hands.

Pretty pissed I did this, stupid mistake on my part. :mad:

Dont get pissed...mueslin bags broke on me every time. I went to the paint strainer bags from the hardware store after two mueslin bags failed. It is part of the learning experience. You may end up pleasantly surprised by your final product as long as you don't rush it out of the fermenter.

I always tie a knot in my muslin bag at the very end, and when I'm steeping I always keep the knotted end wrapped around one of the pot handles to insure it hangs just below the wort level. Occasionally I unwrap the knotted end and dip the grains up and down in the wort to insure I extract as much color, and flavor as possible by letting the wort pass through. This should prevent this from happening next go around. GL

BrewMasta

I always tie a knot in my muslin bag at the very end, and when I'm steeping I always keep the knotted end wrapped around one of the pot handles to insure it hangs just below the wort level. Occasionally I unwrap the knotted end and dip the grains up and down in the wort to insure I extract as much color, and flavor as possible by letting the wort pass through. This should prevent this from happening next go around. GL

BrewMasta

That's what I usually do too, but I decided to cut the knot (clearly wasn't thinking and was sober too!) and it immediately fell in and sunk spilling the contents.

I scooped as much as I could out before I put the heat back on but not all of the grains settled at the bottom. After I poured into the fermenter I would say there was a about 2 ounces still in the kettle.

It was supposed to be a Brown Ale, so color and even clarity aren't big deals, just the taste matters.

I really wouldn't worry about it much. If you scooped most of the grain out, your beer should turn out fine. The BIAB brewers make great beer and get a ton of particulate in their wort. Give it 3 weeks in the primary fermenter, chill it if you can, then siphon your beer into the bottling bucket. You should end up with a good brew as long as you don't screw anything else up;)

I really wouldn't worry about it much. If you scooped most of the grain out, your beer should turn out fine. The BIAB brewers make great beer and get a ton of particulate in their wort.

Indeed. You should see the size of my trub-cake! Almost none of it makes it to the bottle.

And your first sentence nails it. It'll be fine. And if not, it sucks, but brewing is cooking. Sometimes you screw it up after spending all afternoon on it, and it sucks. So you order takeout. Similarly, this is why you can buy beer at the store (in case of emergencies).

UPDATE: I just wanted to give an update if anyone else that may encounter this issue. The Brown Ale came out just fine, no astringency or other off flavors. Turned out to be a great beer. So if your steeping grains spill into the kettle, scoop as much as you can out, but then don't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back