Urban Hop Growing - Philadelphia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwible204

Reaction score
Before I get flamed, I bought 3rd year rhizomes off a local guy and planted 2 of them at my apartment to see how they would grow. I didn't intend on having such awesome growth after 4 weeks. I know they should be in a larger pot but this is what I have to work with. 3 of the other rhizome I got in the lot are properly planted elsewhere (future in-laws). Anyway, these things took off after just a few days and here we are 4 weeks later with several feet of growth on more than 1 bine. I trimmed back a few other bines that were sprouting and left these 5 (3 from 1 rhizome and 2 from the other).

VjaZ8.jpg

More power to you! I plan on growing hops from now on where ever I am living. Right now it means my parents' house out in the county, but someday it might mean a terrace downtown.

:mug:

You are gonna have to water the crap out of that every day to have any shot of getting something useful.

I guess you didn't read my post, I planted them just to see what happens given my current living situation. Turns out they took off. I have been and plan to keep watering them daily.

I know you're not expecting anything out of that but you've got plenty of room on that balcony for a larger pot.

Find something narrow but like 10X deeper and maybe you can pull off a harvest.

Back