Upright or chest freezer for lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
I am torn on what I would like to add next to my brew set-up. Currently I have a four tap keezer, built on a 14cu ftchest freezer (allows four on tap, three on carb with a 20lb co2 tank). I have an upright freezer that fits my 15g minibrew conical or one 6.5g carboy (not tall enough to stack and not deep enough to get two carboys). I have four 6.5 carboys so I can at any one time have 30Gs fermenting at one time (only done a couple times in preparation for parties/holidays etc). I have 16 corny kegs.

I have been brewing about a year AG and this year am going to tackle pilsner and lagers.

I am torn between a couple set-up options:
1. Purchase another 15g conical and a upright freezer to use solely for lagers. I would use the conical for primary, as well as to lager. Cost=$300 for conical, $300 for upright freezer, $80 for temp controller.
2. Purchase a chest freezer and do primary for lagers in carboys (lifting them in and out would be a pain), transfers them to a corny and lager them in a corny. Cost=$175 for chest freezer, $80 for temp controller.

Clearly the cost difference is large and that is a factor. The advantages to the conical is racking any trub prior to pitching and not having to lift carboys in and out. Advantage to chest set-up is cost.

Both will do the job…I do have a peristaltic pump so I could certainly configure a hose set up for $50 to pump wort into carboys in chest freezer and transfer out to corny, but it would be a less clean transfer since I would no doubt pull up some trub.

I am leaning toward the cheaper option but wanted to see if there was any major pros/cons I am missing since I have never lagered.

Any insight is always appreciated!

I use a chest freezer, and temp control. Works well, and it was cheaper. Although I have a conical fermenter, I use converted sankey kegs, and corny kegs for fermenting lagers, IMHO, because they are tall and thin, make better use of a chest freezers dimesions, and are stainless. Not only that but you can pump beer out of them with co2, which eliminates the lifting issues (which is a REAL PAIN). A Stand up freezer would be able to fit your conical though, however, in my case the wife wouldn't authorize the use of our upright freezer for beer purposes:D As she prefers reaching in the upright as opposed to diving in the chest freezer.

I like the second idea with the chest freezer. If you are filtering (or plan to filter) your lagers the transfer to a corny keg is just part of the progression.

I did see where someone had made a pulley lift with brewhaulers to get carboys in/out of a freezer. I will find the link and post it. ;)

Pat - do you use an airlock on the corny to lager or just button it up and relieve pressure occasionally?

Sammy - My back thanks you...my chiropractor condemns you! That looks great and certainly easy to rig.

Pat - do you use an airlock on the corny to lager or just button it up and relieve pressure occasionally?

Neither actually....I use a blow off. Just stretch silicon tubing over the threads on the gas post, and run into a growler of starsan. When it's done, I just replace the gas post and push with gas thru my ros filter into the finish (or lagering keg). Works like a charm:D Actually even though I've not done it yet I could use the same process to gang cornies together, for larger batches for instance.

Latest posts

Back