Upright freeze: where did you drill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolomieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen threads on this with some good info but none of those threads included someone that actually drill through their upright freezer.

So where did you drill through??

I ask because I picked up a ~17cuft upright for 50 bucks. I want to turn it into a fermentation chamber. At the moment my idea is to remove on of the plastic cap that is in the indented shelf support and then drill through to the outside. seems logical that the likely hood of the coils running through that spot would be low. Of course i will probe and look before drilling it out.

This will just to get me started i have a plans for this chamber as i can get four buckets/carboys in it. I eventually want to see if i can do multiple temps using four individual brew belts and foour stc-1000s. Setting the freezer to the coldest temp needed for which ever beer is in there.

I may use the drain hole just to get started but want to avoid that as a long term solution as it takes up valuable temp probe cable length.

I didnt bother drilling through, my probe cables are thin enough i just feed it under my rubber gasket along the front of the door.
When the door is shut no air is getting out. Then again i just made my own 8' cables for my DS18B20's out of some ghetto 18 Gauge wire i had for prototyping circuits classes in college.

Just come in from the top if possible with your probe, so if there is a way for air to get out, it should be minimal.
Dont use the drain hole, being on the bottom it will just dump cold air out unless you plan on filling it with insulation or something.

Dolomieu said:
I have seen threads on this with some good info but none of those threads included someone that actually drill through their upright freezer.

So where did you drill through??

I ask because I picked up a ~17cuft upright for 50 bucks. I want to turn it into a fermentation chamber. At the moment my idea is to remove on of the plastic cap that is in the indented shelf support and then drill through to the outside. seems logical that the likely hood of the coils running through that spot would be low. Of course i will probe and look before drilling it out.

This will just to get me started i have a plans for this chamber as i can get four buckets/carboys in it. I eventually want to see if i can do multiple temps using four individual brew belts and foour stc-1000s. Setting the freezer to the coldest temp needed for which ever beer is in there.

I may use the drain hole just to get started but want to avoid that as a long term solution as it takes up valuable temp probe cable length.

I did exactly as you describe. Plastic cap insert site, probe around, drill. :)

I went through the upper left wall. I knew from testing the freezer that there were condenser lines in the wall. I found an area that was cool when it was running, then I used a utility knife to cut a 1"x1" square from the inside. I then excavated the foam insulation to the exterior wall to make sure I was clear. I used the blunt end of a plastic fork to excavate. I drilled the hole, ran the probe through, and sealed the area with some leftover white antimicrobial bathtub caulking. I never did see a coolant line, so if you are careful you should be able to find room to run four probes and power for the brew belts. Others have had luck going through the wall at the holes for the shelves. Good luck!

Thanks guys. Is the ceiling fair game on these things/coil free? I could see dropping in from the top and having the stc's lined up in cases.

I would just run the probe under the seal but what ever heater i go with will most likely have too thick of a cable to do that with and feel good about.

thanks for that forum link. I didn't come across that one and i'm not sure how.

much appreciated.

Did one a couple of day ago. Use the hunt-and-peck method. Drilled a small hole through the wall, being careful to not penetrate into the insulation. I then poked around gently with a thin ice pick clearing out the insulation from that location to make sure there were no lines. Once confident I drilled through.

Actually found a line on my frist attempt and had to drill a second test hole. :eek:

I didnt bother drilling through, my probe cables are thin enough i just feed it under my rubber gasket along the front of the door.
When the door is shut no air is getting out. Then again i just made my own 8' cables for my DS18B20's out of some ghetto 18 Gauge wire i had for prototyping circuits classes in college.

Just come in from the top if possible with your probe, so if there is a way for air to get out, it should be minimal.
Dont use the drain hole, being on the bottom it will just dump cold air out unless you plan on filling it with insulation or something.

I like your arduino build. I'm actually going to a free arduino clinic in august to learn some basics then I may try your build.

Mine is a Frigidaire and there are definitely coils in the ceiling. It probably varies by make and model.

I like your arduino build. I'm actually going to a free arduino clinic in august to learn some basics then I may try your build.

Thanks, its changed a bit as they now use Xively. Its pretty straight forward to fix though, you just have to get the Xively code and change every line of code that uses COSM to use Xively..

Luckily they kept the names the same though...so something named
For example
CosmDataStructure

Is now
XivelyDataStructure

I have since moved away from that build, and actually turned it into a BrewPi with a spare old PC i had laying around to run Debian.

Its not strictly a "BrewPi" as it doesnt use any of their parts. It only uses their software...i wired the sensors up myself as thats all i wanted. I dont care about a local LED screen or rotary, or buzzer that you get with their shield. I just wanted 2 sensors and their fancy web interface.

I may write up how i did it in the coming days on the Blog as it is really easy and much more powerful since it now actually controls the freezer power with a powerswitch tail II.

I like the power tails. I'm still new to arduino and electronics as a hobby. I'm would be interested in you write up if you do one. I'll keep an eye open for it.

Back