Upcoming brews.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
I am posting this mostly for my own reference, but please do feel free to jump in with feedback or upcoming brews of your own!

After I bottle my Smoked Wheat tonight, I'll need to get started on my Edelweiß project. This will conclude a series of 7 beers that I am brewing in order to take on a vacation later this summer for a reunion with a friend.

Once the Edelweiß is taken care of, I have a few more summer-ish beers to brew before thinking about fall and winter. These are and American Wheat, an Afternoon Wheat, Blackberry Red Ale (with Bullberry (also known as Buffaloberry) substitute) and Grapefruit Honey Ale. One last summer brew that I'd like to try, assuming that I can get all of the rest made, is PassedPawn's Honey and Chamomile Wheat.

After that, It will be time to start brewing fall and winter beers - more later!

That is six(?) brews? That would be 3 months of brewing for me so when they would be ready it would be fall. I don't really brew to season anyway, but I would be starting to think about brewing fall and winter beers now.

That said, the next 3 that I plan on are a pale ale, a wheat beer and an American brown ale. Probably two of them tomorrow.

Well, I try to brew to season (availability of ingredients etc.), but drink whenever they are good. If that's a month great...if 6 months, then I can wait! :mug:

The other thing is that these are all 1-gallon batches, so we're not talking TOO much beer, here...

One that should be up there that I forgot is a Strawberry Rhubarb Strong Ale.

I've got a few pre-packaged Brooklyn Brew Shop mixes to go through for fall and winter. Once I am done with those, I am stripping my next few brews down to 10 basic styles - pale ale, porter, stout, pilsner etc. No frills, just clean, simple versions of each. That will probably be over the winter, but we'll see how it goes.

The other thing is that these are all 1-gallon batches, so we're not talking TOO much beer, here...

1 gallon batches makes a lot of sense as to your schedule.

The recipes sound great.

I do 5 gallon batches so I brew less often, I also have less variety.

I have thought about doing some 1 gallon batches or splitting a 5 gallon batch and using different dry hops and different yeasts to get 5 different beers from one session.

I have thought about doing some 1 gallon batches or splitting a 5 gallon batch and using different dry hops and different yeasts to get 5 different beers from one session.

I recommend doing so - it allows a certain freedom for experimentation - and if something isn't quite right, there are only 8 or 9 bottles left after the first, so you can either stash them somewhere to age or dump them without being too guilt-ridden. Cost of equipment and ingredients is minimal, and there are some advantages in terms of time and hassle.

If you'd like to try any of those recipes, shoot me a PM. I've got all of the recipes except the Afternoon Wheat and American Wheat, which are pre-packaged mixes that are not covered in BBS's books. I've done the Grapefruit Honey Ale and Smoked Wheat before, but the rest are all new to me, so it will be an interesting learning experience.

I have brewed for 5 years now and use mostly my own recipes these days. I sometimes look at a proven recipe and start from there and sometimes totally from scratch.

Thus far I have not had to dump any, I have one in a keg now that I only use for cooking though. It was a high gravity experiment in trying to make a "Romulan Ale" Not the distilled liquor drink. BTW there is no way to make a yellow ale blue. Blue and yellow make green.

I have also made recipes using smoked malts, Cherrywood, Mesquite, Peat and Oak Smoked Wheat Malt. I have liked them all. Peat is the one you have to be careful with, a little goes a long way.

I have brewed for 5 years now and use mostly my own recipes these days. I sometimes look at a proven recipe and start from there and sometimes totally from scratch.

I'm getting to be the same way. If I have a recipe (or even a pre-packaged mix) and want to try a slight modification, I go ahead with it. Usually, turns out great. Even if it is not what I intended, I'll almost always still end up with something that is good.

I'm doing a pilsner on saturday which will be ready in 21 days hopefully. After that I will be making a festbier, then an DIPA, then probably a smoked brown ale for the fall, then a good chocolate porter for winter... I have no idea who will be drinking all this, but I sure do like making it!

I love brewing for the seasons, the only problem is, I tend to brew beers that taste good in the current season, so I need to get better at planning them to be ready in the correct season lol.

I'm getting to be the same way. If I have a recipe (or even a pre-packaged mix) and want to try a slight modification, I go ahead with it. Usually, turns out great. Even if it is not what I intended, I'll almost always still end up with something that is good.

One of my best was a brown ale that I made out of left over grains.

I then made 2 similar versions none quite as good. The next was made quite close to the original. And have version #5 coming up, again close to the original.

I have also tried to clone a Long Trail Brewery Pale Ale. They no longer brew it. They had the ingredients listed online. I then emailed them to find out if they use a different bottling yeast. They did not answer the yeast question, but they gave me a new list of ingredients, but it was different than what I had seen online.

That version was closer than the others. Their beer was the most aromatic that I have ever opened. I used reclaimed yeast from their Long Trail Ale since one of my LHBS owners said that it might be due to their house yeast. I still don't know if they use a separate bottling yeast but what I used was very good.

My next 4 batches will be to replenish my 'house' beers. These include a cream ale (this time with jalapeños), my IPA, California Common and an Irish Red.

I have a NE-style IPA with Mosaic and El Dorado in the fermenter right now. Should be about 5 gallons into bottles.

I am buying a 3-gallon fermenter to make 2-gallon batches, and I have a couple things planned. Going to start formulating my own recipes soon and playing with ingredients.

Oatmeal stout, I am going to try and make a sessionable but flavorful oatmeal stout within the BJCP guidelines.

Blonde ale, I think I am going to make a blonde ale with a big dose of Simcoe or Citra hops on the back end, possibly little to no boil hops.

After that, I am going to brew 2 gallons of imperial stout playing with my grain bill. And then after that probably brew a 5 gallon batch of imperial stout to split a couple ways, one with vanilla bourbon and oak, and one with cinnamon, chocolate, bourbon, and oak.

Some great replies so far, everyone - keep 'em coming!

I brewed my Edelweiß last night - it went well, I think! Next up will be the Strawberry-Rhubarb Strong Ale, but it might be a few days before I can get that going.

I loosely follow this calendar: http://beersmith.com/blog/2009/10/18/seasonal-beer-brewing/

My next brew (tomorrow) is Oktoberfest I plan to tap 17 Sep. I have a house English Pale Ale on deck to tap for Labor Day. After that I am considering a Cream Ale, Patersbier, Honey Brown Ale to tap for Columbus Day, German Alt, Milk Stout to tap for Veteran's Day, Bourbon Barrel Porter to tap for Thanksgiving, Scotch Ale, Holiday Ale/Winter Warmer to tap for Christmas, and Golden Strong Ale to tap for New Years.

That plan takes my brew days thru mid Nov. I normally have one beer fermenting, one tap nearing the end, one tap just starting, and one beer lagering/bright tank/conditioning to keep the pipeline flowing.

Note: Strength and color increase as outside air temp drops.

Next two batches will be:

An all pilsner/saphir saison. 5 gallons. Half to be put in secondary with brett.

Dark mild. Split batch. 2 gallons with English yeast. 5 gallons with lambic blend for long aging.

I bottled my Edelweiß 72 hours after brewing it (almost to the minute); it is currently sitting and (hopefully) carbonating.

I will try to get my Strawberry Rhubarb Strong Ale brewed this week; however, in realistic terms, it might be next week. We'll be out of town later in July, and it is my intention to try to have the second (or possibly even a third) week of fermentation take place while we're on vacation, so it can be bottled when we get home and enjoyed in mid-August.

Currently brewing a brown ale. Next up is another shot at my quest to make a perfect blonde. Munich dunkel or some type of German lager next. Then I'm going to make a barley wine with orange blossom honey. Right after that I'm making a milk stout which I plan to blend some of it with the barley wine.

Finally got all six taps on my Summer kegerator filled up. Brewed two lagers over 2 weekends (Munich Dunkel and Vienna Lager) and let lager for 4 weeks. Next up is a dunkelweizen. From here it's time to start drinking to make some room for some Fall beers.

I have two SMaSHes for this month. soon after i will begin a barleywine that i have been wanting to try. I have a Marzen fermenting that i need to bottle before 8/1.

I will be brewing a pacific Jade pale ale, a centennial ipa, a citra simcoe session, and English mild all for an August fundraising event in Carrboro NC. On top of the Pilsner, mango cream ale, and gluten reduced chocolate mint stout I've got kegged last month. Beer is awesome

Doing a Red IPA and a Conan Cider to cap 5 generations of Vermont Ale yeast I've been using. Then I'll be picking out a nice clean British yeast that I'll use for several generations. Planning a Dry Stout, Pumpkin Beer, Red Ale, Oatmeal Stout, and a Red IPA with Cherry juice and El Dorado.

Not necessarily in that order.

"For my own reference" I use the Future Brews section of My Profile in My Account at HomeBrewTalk. Brewing every six weeks, this list is too long, but I like seeing the brews slowly slide forward. The list is actually longer because I intend to brew an IPA clone every 16 brews, and I have two IPA clones picked beyond this long list.

Future Brews: Victory HopDevil; Stille Nacht; Allagash Odyssey; SWMBO choice; Redhook ESB III; SWMBO choice; North Coast Grand Cru; SWMBO choice; IPA; SWMBO choice; Wells Bombardier; SWMBO choice; Bitter; SWMBO choice; Non Bitter/IPA; SWMBO choice; Bell's Two Hearted; SWMBO choice; Experiment; SWMBO choice; Redhook ESB IV; SWMBO choice; Non Bitter/IPA; SWMBO choice; IPA; SWMBO choice; Experiment; SWMBO choice; Bitter; SWMBO choice; Non Bitter/IPA; SWMBO choice; He'Brew Hop Manna; SWMBO choice; Experiment; SWMBO choice; Redhook ESB V; SWMBO choice; Non Bitter/IPA; SWMBO choice; IPA; SWMBO choice; Experiment; SWMBO choice; Bitter; SWMBO choice; Non Bitter/IPA; SWMBO choice; He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's RIPA; SWMBO choice; Experiment; SWMBO choice; Redhook ESB VI; SWMBO choice; Non Bitter/IPA; SWMBO choice; IPA; SWMBO choice; Experiment; SWMBO choice; Bitter; SWMBO choice; Non Bitter/IPA; SWMBO choice.

Now that I have brewed three kits and am a certified expert, I am going to experiment. I plan to buy a cream ale kit, then when its secondary time, put 4 or 5 sliced up jalapenos that I smoked on the Green Mountain in there.

Now that I have brewed three kits and am a certified expert, I am going to experiment. I plan to buy a cream ale kit, then when its secondary time, put 4 or 5 sliced up jalapenos that I smoked on the Green Mountain in there.

Just did this a few minutes ago. Chopped, partially deseeded and soaked in 1.5ozs of vodka for two weeks. Gonna let them marinate for 5-7 days and bottle.

Let's compare results later.

Just did this a few minutes ago. Chopped, partially deseeded and soaked in 1.5ozs of vodka for two weeks. Gonna let them marinate for 5-7 days and bottle.

Well dam, I got talked out of it. Although, I just finished a Witbier I would be more than willing to add some jalapenos too........

Maybe I should throw caution to the wind and toss some peppers in the secondary of my witbier with its time.

Sunuva... !!! I put the peppers in last week after they soaked for two weeks in vodka. The beer looked fine but I open the fermenter today and see this...

Message_1468763089781.jpg

Sunuva... !!! I put the peppers in last week after they soaked for two weeks in vodka. The beer looked fine but I open the fermenter today and see this...

Ouch! I wonder if it would have made more sense to add the vodka rather than the peppers. Seems odd that anything could survive 2 weeks in 40% ethanol, though.

Posting this just because I have nothing better to do, but here's an updated list of upcoming brews:

I've got a few more to brew later this summer, in August:

Grapefruit Honey Ale
Strawberry-Rhubarb Strong Ale
American Wheat (my son asked if he could brew this one, so I'll let him do it)
Afternoon Wheat
Blackberry Red Ale (with Buffaloberries (AKA Bullberries) instead of blackberries

After that, I'll be ramping up my fall/winter beers, including:

Pecan Pie Amber Ale
Bourbon Dubbel
Chocolate Maple Porter
Peanut Butter Porter
Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout

Beyond these, there are a few that I am working on developing:

Some sort of Old Fezziwig-type holiday ale
A clone of the original Blue Moon that I found whilst browsing the forums here
A clone (or as close to it as possible) for Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout, from Tall Grass brewing
My rendition of Kentucky Common Ale, getting as close as possible to the original, based on historical research and what's available today
Maibock
Honey and Chamomile Wheat (PassedPawn's recipe)
A possible 50/50 rauchmalz and pale wheat development (I'm thinking of calling it "Prairie Fire) - working on hops and maybe and additional ingredient or two.

Anyway, that's it for now, and it's keeping me quite bloody busy indeed.

Upcoming:

* Prairie BOMB! clone
* Trappist Dubbel (will use caramelized honey instead of candi sugar)
* Mead with caramelized honey, tart cherry juice, chocolate and lactose
* Mead with caramelized honey, dried chile peppers, chocolate and vanilla

With my winter stout in bottles and aging already my next 2 brews will be Centenial Blonde because I have wanted to try this recipe and I always try to have an easy drinker on hand.
After that is an Irish Red because it's a style I enjoy and it occurs to me I haven't brewed one in a year or so.

Last edited:
Well, my summer beers (noted above) are officially brewed, which means that I can brew my fall beers and then the winter ones.

My upcoming fall/winter beers are (in no particuar order, at this point):

Pecan Pie Amber Ale
Bourbon Dubbel
Chocolate Maple Porter
A clone of the original Blue Moon that I found whilst browsing the forums here
Peanut Butter Porter
Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout

These (except for the Blue Moon clone) are the last of the pre-packaged mixes from Brooklyn Brew Shop that I have. Finishing them off will free me up to try some recipes in BBS's books and the ones I have found here on the forum that I'd like to try. Eventually, I'd also like to develop more of my own recipes.

Other fall/winter beers that I will be working on going forward are:

Some sort of Old-Fezziwig-type holiday ale
A clone (or as close to it as possible) for Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout, from Tall Grass brewing
My rendition of Kentucky Common Ale, getting as close as possible to the original, based on historical research and what's available today.

Looking toward next spring and summer, I am considering:

Maibock
Honey and Chamomile Wheat (PassedPawn's recipe)
Another brewing of Edelweiss, which has truly become one of my favourite beers and is perfect for early spring
A possible 50/50 rauchmalz and pale wheat development (I'm thinking of calling it "Prairie Fire) - working on hops and maybe and additional ingredient or two

My goal is to have these all "synced up" by the time spring 2017 rolls around, so that I can do some truly seasonal brewing - by this I mean that I am brewing some beers FOR the season and other beers WITH the season.

Anyway, that's where I'm at now...more as it happens....

Ron

next up- Belgian Blonde ale, nut brown ale, Westvleteren 12 clone... I will do a Czech pilsner before the Halloween holiday also.

Well, I was able to scratch Bourbon Dubbel off my list above (brewed this past Sunday).

Unfortunately, though, I don't think I'll be able to talk myself out of a Peppermint Porter, so that will have to go on the list in order for me to have it ready in time for Christmas. :tank:

Upcoming brews, probably in this order:

Cranberry Wheat
Root Beer Stout
A Straight-up English Pale Ale (the recipe that I came up with conforms to the style of an ESB)

From there, I need to start thinking about spring beers, including a Maibock (hopefully) and another brewing of Edelweiß, which turned out REALLY well the first time I made it. I am also thinking of a Belgian Blonde or perhaps a wheat beer with wild rose hips and (maybe) petals.

Upcoming brews, probably in this order:

Cranberry Wheat
Root Beer Stout
A Straight-up English Pale Ale (the recipe that I came up with conforms to the style of an ESB)

From there, I need to start thinking about spring beers, including a Maibock (hopefully) and another brewing of Edelweiß, which turned out REALLY well the first time I made it. I am also thinking of a Belgian Blonde or perhaps a wheat beer with wild rose hips and (maybe) petals.

Add a batch of Das OtterWeizen to the list above....

I am hoping to brew the Cranberry Wheat and Root Beer Stout this weekend, if all goes well.

Having brewed the Root Beer Stout, Cranberry Wheat and Das OtterWeizen over the past few days, my upcoming plans for brewing include:

A straight-up English Pale Ale
A straight-up American Pale Ale
Edelweiß

I've decided to hold off on my "Rose-Cheeked and Blonde" Belgian Ale until I have some Wild Prairie Rose petals to add.

Sooner or later, I will also attempt a Maibock in the near future, as winter winds down. It probably won't be in time for May, but that's no big deal. I also need to attempt my interpretation of Kentucky Common Ale and Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout.

I'd like to get these beers done before the end of July - when I will be meeting up with a friend in South Dakota who introduced me to Buffalo Sweat - but we'll see how it goes....

As it turns out, I ended up not purchasing that mix for myself; however, I did get it for my #2 son for Christmas, and am hoping that he will share a bottle with Dear Old Dad when he brews it.... :tank:

Latest posts

Back