Up and Down cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seriousbeef

Reaction score
Some of you may well know England has hit (finally) its summer season, so temps are getting reasonably hot in the day time.
In my garage, my ferm is sitting at a nice cold crash temp at night, but in the day time...well, that's another story.

So I figured, would it be appropriate method to cold crash for 4 days as supposed to my usual 2 due to significant fluctuation in temperature?

Side-question: does material that is 'crashed' in the beer rouse back into suspension once temps are back up to 22-25C again?

There's a decent thread here regarding a similar question. As a poster mentioned in the thread, temperature fluctuations are the most damaging during primary fermentation since they can create all sorts of off flavors, but since you are already out of that stage it would seem reasonable to assume the impact would be minimal.

As a precaution you could always put the fermentation vessel in a swamp cooler to help limit the temperature fluctuations using stuff you likely already have sitting around.

The temp fluctuation could cause CO2 to come out of solution, so if you get come CO2 rising near the bottom of the bucket, it could cause some sediment to rise again. You'd be better off getting a good cold crash overnight and bottling in the morning before it gets hot.

Latest posts

Back