Unwanted Sour flavor in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
So I prepared a fairly generic all-grain IPA.

After 3 weeks in the primary I racked the beer to my keg.
After another week of carbonating I decided to give it a taste, because I am impatient.

It tastes as tho I am sucking on a Sour Patch Kid while drinking a beer.

This was very much not intended.

Did my beer catch a bug, or to use a more technical term, "Nasties"?

Is it possible these flavors will fade after a long time-out in a dark closet?

What kind 9f water did you use? DI'd you do any additions to said water? The reason I ask is because, per Palmers how to brew website:

Magnesium is an important yeast nutrient in small amounts (10 -20 ppm), but amounts greater than 50 ppm tend to give a sour-bitter taste to the beer. Levels higher than 125 ppm have a laxative and diuretic affect.

I'd wait for a water expert to respond though!

I use filtered Seattle tap water. I have not added anything to my water as I have been told seattle's water is quite nice.

Did you first notice the taster ATFER kegging? If so, I;d bet it was the tubing/valves you used to transfer

IME, those flavors will only get stronger with time...

I actually didnt taste until after kegging, now i know better. I guess i have to dump it, sad sad day. My guess is it occured during cooling, since i did not use a secondary, or maybe my cracking racking cane.

Latest posts

Back