Unleash the centennial hop monster.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
Well as it sits we have a buyer for my house, and in july I will be moving to Germany. That being said I have enough pils malt for 2 beers. Not sure about the second beer yet, but the 1st is set to brew this sat.

11lb pils malt
1 lb 60l crystal

.5 lb wet homegrown centennial in mashtun
1 oz centennial pellet 60 min
1 lb dried homegrown centennial 30 min
1 lb centennial homegrown 15 min
1 lb centennial homegrown 10 min
.5 lb centennial homegrown 5 min
.5 lb wet centennial dry hop

lol stupid crazy hops additions, but hey I cant take it with me, might as well use it all at once.

Where are you getting wet hops this time of year? Growing indoors?

Vacuum sealed and in freezer since harvest, just did a small 1g batch last month chasing down a "flavor" issue they were still amaizing smelling, and my 1 g batch turned out nice.

Lol did not think about the hops absorbing the wort, might have to modify grain bill and plan on a 7-8g batch to end up with 5g

If you need to get rid of 4 pounds of hops, I'll take some off your hands. You'll feel good about it, and your beer will be drinkable.

yeah but at least 1 lb will add 0 to the bitterness. But the more I think about it, I guess it is a bit overkill. And as I still have 1lb of centennial pellet and 1lb of crystal pellet left im sure I will be giving alot away and feeling great:D

That being said I have enough pils malt for 2 beers.

... and with that many hops, 2 beers is about all you'll get out of that batch <rimshot>. that's not an imperial IPA... that's a Galactic Empire IPA!

i too would be more than happy to help out with an leftover hops you need to get rid of. i'll even name the batch in your honor - "tchuklobrau's sl'hoppy seconds IPA".

tchuklobrau said:
yeah but at least 1 lb will add 0 to the bitterness. But the more I think about it, I guess it is a bit overkill. And as I still have 1lb of centennial pellet and 1lb of crystal pellet left im sure I will be giving alot away and feeling great:D

So do I pm you my address now, or later? :)

now, later, its all the same to me.

Ok on a seroius note then. The only time I used whole hops in a beer was my 1st attempt at a wet hop ipa which was an epic failure. Not sure if it was a dumper because of using wet hops longer than 30 min in the boil, or just because of the fermenter(which I now know is bugged). So if I were doing a 5g batch and used a normal amount of hops(say 1 lb total ) how much wort loss do you figure id have

changed hop addition.

8oz in mash
.5 pellet 60 min
6 oz 30 min
6 oz 20 min
4 oz 10 min
3 oz 5 min

also for s&g's i threw some star anise, and sasaparilla in the boil as well. mash has 15 min left b4 sparge. lol my wlp001 starter floweth over(never had one go over 1/10th as much as this)

Back