Unidentified obj in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmarshall

Reaction score
I am stepping up the yeast from a 6er of bells two hearted. I'm concerned about infection because there is a spherical mass about half the size of a marble among the yeast. It looks like a cluster of yeast but I have never seen them together like that and I am concerned its another type of organism like mold.

Anyone know if this is normal? Don't want to contaminate a full batch- should I abort or keep on?

image-4099536269.jpg

You can kind of see it here...

I didn't see that or anything like it in my Bell's yeast. I would harvest from the Pale Ale or Amber if I were you. The yeast in that THA is unhealthy, unhappy.

Update: it's officially an unidentified "floating" object! Sorry the other pic was so bad.

image-4010762883.jpg

Can anyone identify if this is a mold or other infection? If I can't get a sure response I will just toss it.

Attachments

• image-12956686.jpg
    image-12956686.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 173
Mold! Run away!

I'm not positive it's mold. Could be something else. One thing for sure is that it's not yeast.

Yeast does not create a cat toy in your starter ;)

At least I'm learning now rather than 5 weeks from now. I will be more careful about collecting samples next time.

All I know is that we sometimes see stuff like that growing in our culture media in lab. When we do, we autoclave the crap out of it and throw it away. I would not use that.

brewmarshall said:
At least I'm learning now rather than 5 weeks from now. I will be more careful about collecting samples next time.

Based strictly on color, I'm guessing you used standard ~1.040 wort for the starter. Next time you're culturing something from a bottle, consider using a lower gravity wort in a lesser volume first, and then step up to standard starter wort ~24 hours later. A higher ratio of your desired yeast cells vs. volume & sugar will help your culture exclude other critters you don't want.

Edit: I said 24 hours later above, but you may want to wait longer between steps if you're not using a stir plate. I have always used one so my experience is different.

i wouldnt use it, heck i wouldnt even drink it if i would see something like that in my beer (and i drink almost everything beerlike)

Yeah, I actually poured off the "death star" like I was decanting- since it floated- and I looked at my doubled yeast and considered keeping the yeast and imagining I never saw anyone unusual... But then I reconsidered and flushed them away.
:(

Wife's going to Mich next weekend... So I'll try again with another batch of Bells

Thanks for the help guys, the first step is admitting you have a problem.

Yeah, I actually poured off the "death star" like I was decanting- since it floated- and I looked at my doubled yeast and considered keeping the yeast and imagining I never saw anyone unusual... But then I reconsidered and flushed them away.
:(

Wife's going to Mich next weekend... So I'll try again with another batch of Bells

Thanks for the help guys, the first step is admitting you have a problem.

Ask her to pick up some Amber or Pale Ale. Lots of folks have had good luck with those, myself included.

Back