Unfortunate swinging ferm. temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeraphX117

Reaction score
I recently made a simple red ale (Dawsons multigrain Red from NB). Unfortunately, do to unavoidable events in my life, the ale has been sitting in the primary for almost two months. During this time I was away from home often and was only there a couple nights a week. Today I got my electric bills and it was half of what i usually pay....it turns out my mother was going to my house to check on the place everyday, and was turning my cooler off! Then she would turn it back on before i came home. I love my mother for trying to save my electric bill...but I live in Tucson AZ. The temp in my house while i was away went from 81F during the day to 68F at night. This happened for weeks.

Why kind of off flavors should I expect?

I used Safale S-04 as yeast instead of the white labs, because money (im a college student...takes me a while just to save up for a batch)

Today I got my electric bills and it was half of what i usually pay....it turns out my mother was going to my house to check on the place everyday, and was turning my cooler off! Then she would turn it back on before i came home.

I have no idea what the electricity rates are like in Tucson, but if they're anything like in VA, you were going to pay 80-90 dollars to keep your house cool to ensure two cases of beer didn't develop any off flavors.

ya my electric bill averages $110 to keep the house below 70. My bill was only $65. During the the first 3 weeks of fermentation the temp was exactly 68F it wasn't until the beginning of the fourth week that was only home a couple days a week. I don't see why it would taste bad....i have just been waiting so long, i wanted to know what i was in for. It will still be another week before I bottle, and generally a month after that until I crack the first ones open

Back