Unexpected Wild Yeasties...Or So I Think...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nivek

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I picked up some fresh pressed cider yesterday from a local orchard and was planning on making a few different batches. I pitched the appropriate amount of campden in two of the batches and left them in my kitchen overnight. This evening I went to take a look at them and work on planning my recipes out when I noticed there were some bubble and little floating bits in each carboy; The floaties sort of look like some bits of apple that made it into their holding tank. I popped the plug and took a sniff. Much to my surprise it seems to be slowly fermenting. A taste also seems to confirm.

I have never had this happen before so I am here to ask advice. Should I try to cold crash this stuff into halting fermentation and then add my choice of yeast, or is that going to be a lost cause? If it were a small batch I might not care, but this is 13 gallons.

Over all I think this is the perfect excuse for me to get a chest freezer setup with temp control to help prevent this sort of thing.

Normally I'd say to let it run its course... but then you mentioned thirteen gallons. Holy crap.

Cold crash it ASAP and get the yeasts you want in there. I'm pretty sure everything would be okay, but I wouldn't want to take unnecessary risks on a batch that big.

Latest posts

Back