Unexpected experiment in oxydation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenugsmoustache

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I went up to my friends place to have a few beers before we had to go to work. I brought a 64oz growler of my latest Belgian white IPA, we almost finished it, there was about a glass left that I intended to finish that evening. Well that didn't happen, so it sat in my kegerator until today. Here is the result. The sample on the left is the oxidized example and on the right a pint fresh from the kegerator. The oxidized sample has lost almost all of it's character completely which is to be expected. I was more shocked by the color difference. Just thought I would share, cheers! :beer:

View attachment 1469671987027.jpg

Very helpful for those that haven't seen or experienced oxidation. Thanks for sharing.
Can you describe the flavor? To me, its very distinct, but I wouldn't call it wet cardboard, or maybe I should try some wet cardboard to compare???? Otherwise, my palette is not refined enough to describe it. Patooeee is the best I can do. The aroma is terrible too!

Wet cardboard was a good way to describe the aroma, the flavor was more, really dull, nondescript and watery with a just the barest hint of the Belgian yeast character. ALL hop flavor/aroma was gone along with a good portion of the bitterness. It was amazing how much flavor was just gone.

Latest posts

Back