Uneven distribution of priming sugar in 5 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doliss

Reaction score
So I opened the first 5 gal batch I've done, a nice pumpkin spice ale brewed in the middle of November. The flavor turned out really good, although some of the bottles in the batch are very undercarbed while others are just fine. My only guess is that the priming sugar didn't mix evenly in my bottleing bucket.

Anyone have this issue with 5 gal batches? I used the northern brewer pumpkin spice ale kit, with 5oz of priming sugar. Just boiled the water, mixed in the sugar and let it dissolve. After the solution had cooled, I started siphoning the beer into the bottleing bucket and after getting a gallon or so in the bucket I started pouring the sugar solution into the bucket.

The angle that my siphon hose was in the bottom of the bucket caused a decent rotation in the brew, so I figured that it would be sufficient to mix the sugar solution thoroughly into the beer. I'm guessing I was wrong since some of the bottles didn't seem to get enough solution.

Would a few stirs with a sanitized spoon suffice or do y'all have any other suggestions to make sure that the sugar solution is thoroughly mixed? Got to love this learning process, looking forward to brewing the next batch :mug:

I use basically the same method as you, except I pour the priming solution into the bottling bucket first and then rack the beer on top. The swirling helps, though I also stir after racking with a sanitized spoon to ensure the priming solution is evenly mixed. I'm careful not to splash the beer while doing this to avoid aerating it and producing stale/off flavors in the final product. So far all my batches have been evenly carbonated using this method.

For my past few batches, I didn't prime at all - just bottled 1 point high at 1.015 (target fg was 1.014) and put them in a 28c room. Some carbed in 1-2 days, all in less than a week. I use PET bottles, so I can just squeeze them to check carbonation status - they are hard as a rock when carbed and the pressure makes the yeast behave nicely despite the high temps.

Works like a charm and couldn't be easier unless one had a keg and a CO2 bottle.

podz said:
For my past few batches, I didn't prime at all - just bottled 1 point high at 1.015 (target fg was 1.014) and put them in a 28c room. Some carbed in 1-2 days, all in less than a week. I use PET bottles, so I can just squeeze them to check carbonation status - they are hard as a rock when carbed and the pressure makes the yeast behave nicely despite the high temps. Works like a charm and couldn't be easier unless one had a keg and a CO2 bottle.

Whatever works is great, but I wouldn't go around suggesting this method. Especially for others with glass bottles.

If your method is so dialed in that you an hit an exact FG every time and you can catch it a point high every time, great. However, you are probably about the only person who is that good. Your advice, given to someone not as experienced as yourself, is going to result in a lot of flat bottles, some gushers, and some bottle bombs.

Again, if it works for you feel free to keep it up. Personally, I don't think this is sound advice.

For my past few batches, I didn't prime at all - just bottled 1 point high at 1.015 (target fg was 1.014) and put them in a 28c room. Some carbed in 1-2 days, all in less than a week. I use PET bottles, so I can just squeeze them to check carbonation status - they are hard as a rock when carbed and the pressure makes the yeast behave nicely despite the high temps.

Works like a charm and couldn't be easier unless one had a keg and a CO2 bottle.

:eek: Do you tell the yeast what the target FG is to make sure they are on the same page? For me, it seems like they operate on their own set of goals that are sometimes a little different than the target written on a recipe.

OP, how long ago did you bottle? How much water did you boil to dissolve the priming sugar?

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't try it with glass bottles but using this method for 2 batches in PET bottles has worked perfectly for me. No flats and no gushers out of 20 x 1 litre bottles each batch. One more reason not to mess with glass bottles. Still waiting for money to buy some kegs :)

:eek: Do you tell the yeast what the target FG is to make sure they are on the same page? For me, it seems like they operate on their own set of goals that are sometimes a little different than the target written on a recipe.

I made the same recipe several times and it always finished at 1.014. The results are consistent. Seems pretty simple to me and I am not that experienced, but fg has been the same each time with the same recipe.

I continue to use it because it works for me and it's easy. In fact, the time when I did prime with sugar I had very uneven results. That's what prompted me to try this method.

I use basically the same method as you, except I pour the priming solution into the bottling bucket first and then rack the beer on top. The swirling helps, though I also stir after racking with a sanitized spoon to ensure the priming solution is evenly mixed. I'm careful not to splash the beer while doing this to avoid aerating it and producing stale/off flavors in the final product. So far all my batches have been evenly carbonated using this method.

This is what I do as well. Theoretically, the swirling motion should mix the priming solution sufficiently, but after experiencing what you described, I started stirring with a sanitized spoon once the beer is racked to my bottling bucket. As long as you stir gently and don't splash the beer you should be in good shape.

I don't stir due to fears of aeration and off flavors, and my method which I'm pretty sure I read about on HBT is to dump half of the priming solution into my bottling bucket before the beer. Than at the half way, two and a half gallons mark add the rest of your priming solution. Swirling action mixes, no stirring, and has worked well for me anyway.
Cheers

I suspect either A) the beer hasn't been given enough time to finish carbonating or B) the priming solution was made with too little water, making it harder to mix into the beer.

This is what I do as well. Theoretically, the swirling motion should mix the priming solution sufficiently, but after experiencing what you described, I started stirring with a sanitized spoon once the beer is racked to my bottling bucket. As long as you stir gently and don't splash the beer you should be in good shape.

I do the same but I also stir after each 6 pack that I bottle. All my batches prior to using this method had uneven carbonation. Stirring after every 6 bottles is probably overkill, but I really don't think that the whirlpool created by siphoning does a sufficient job of distributing the sugar. You should stir at least once IMO.

I can't recall the exact amount of water that was used for the priming sugar, it was either 1 or 2 cups. The package of sugar had instructions on the pack that were easy to follow, I used whatever was listed there. I might have put in just a bit extra because when I put the amount of water into the small soup pot to boil I thought it was a very small amount.

I bottled around the 2nd week of November, so they have had plenty of time to carb. I've done some heavier porters that were carbed with that time frame, this being a lighter beer I figured 4 weeks would have been plenty.

Back