Understanding my water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgalak

Reaction score
I'm a fairly new brewer, and so far have only done extract brews. I'm looking to try all-grain and am trying to figure out the tap water I have.

Here's the report from the local company:

http://www.amwater.com/ccr/merrick.pdf

The first thing confusing me is alkalinity. This just lists "Alkalinity ppm". What unit is this? All I know about water is the bit I've read in "How to brew", and if I understand it correctly, it should be either as CaCO3 or as HCO3. Is there any way to tell which? Does it matter?

There's also the ranges. What do I use in a calculator? The max? The middle of the range?

Or should I just send a sample out to be tested? If so, what's a good place to use for brewing purposes?

Thanks,
A confused newbie.

Most of the ranges are insignificant due to the overall low values. It's fairly soft water. I'd use the middle of the range, or in the cases where only a max is given ("No Data" is shown for the low), use the max.

Ca 1.3 - 13.1
Mg 1.8
Na 16 - 38
Cl 5.2 - 22.8
SO4 27.4
Alk 27.3 - 51

Alkalinity in ppm is CaCO3: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Marketing-and-Development/Consumer-Resources/Recreation/Aquarium-Fish/Water-Quality-Total-Alkalinity-and-Hardness
"Total alkalinity is expressed as milligrams per liter (mg/L) or parts per million (ppm) of calcium carbonate (CaCO3)."

This is pretty easy water to deal with (you're fortunate!). Ward Labs is the usual brewer's water testing company - but with your very reasonable water I wouldn't bother to be honest.

Do a google search for Brun Water.....download spreadsheet...and read everything on site about water profiles, adjustments, chemistry, etc.....

You've got yourself some good water there. You're normally going to want to bump up the calcium, because it's low for brewing purposes (proper levels of calcium, >50 ppm, will help with yeast health, flocculation, clarity, and reducing beerscale). Looks like the chloride and sulfate going to be pretty similar, so depending on what you normally like to brew, gypsum or calcium chloride will be your friend to raise calcium as well as sulfate and/or chloride. After that, with the alkalinity you may find for pale beers you still need a little bit of acid to bring the mash pH down to where it needs to be. But lucky for you, your alkalinity is very low compared to many water supplies (it's about half of my water's alkalinity, and maybe 25% of the water of much of the country), so it's very easily manageable. For most of your amber in to dark beers, you probably wont' need acid at all (and for really dark, you might actually need to raise alkalinity, get yourself some baking soda for that).

If you contact the water company (or really really dig on their website) you may be able to find more elaborate information. Every water company I've dealt with (which could admittedly just be the companies I've dealt with) have the data reported as measured month by month.

And +1 on Bru'N Water. It's the best spreadsheet I've ever used, and his "water knowledge" section is the single best brewing water resource I've seen outside of John Palmer's Water book.

The first thing confusing me is alkalinity.
It's supposed to. Otherwise they wouldn't use the foolish units they do. Alkalinity is actually a very simple thing. It is the number of mL of 0.1 N acid that must be added to 0.1 L of the water sample to lower its pH to 5.5 at which pH almost all the carbonate and bicarbonate are converted to carbon dioxide. Since 0.1 N acid contains 0.1 mEq/mL the number of mL used to acidify 0.1 L us the the number of mEq/L. If we stopped there everything would be easy but in the US we multiply the mEq/L by 50 because if you take 100 mg of calcium carbonate (1 mmol) and dissolve it in 1 L of water using carbonic acid as the required acid and bring the pH to 8.3 you will have, approximately 2 mmol/L bicarbonate ion each of which requires a mEq of acid to convert to CO2. Thus water in which 100 mg of limestone was dissolved per liter by carbon dioxide has alkalinity of about 100 ppm 'as CaCO3' and the same calcium hardness.

This just lists "Alkalinity ppm". What unit is this?
In nearly all cases it is ppm as CaCO3. Just divide by 50 to get mEq/L.

All I know about water is the bit I've read in "How to brew", and if I understand it correctly, it should be either as CaCO3 or as HCO3.
It should be mEq/L but in the us it will be as CaCO3 in nearly all cases. It can be expressed as ° dH (based on calcium oxide) or bicarbonate or really anything you want. The only advocate of 'as bicarbonate' is the author of Bru'n water which is a pity as it mars a product which otherwise has lots to offer.

Is there any way to tell which?
In a good report it will be clearly labeled. Sometimes it is labeled as just carbonate and you have to be particularly careful with, for example, posts here where people misunderstanding what is really involved will often say 'my carbonates are 120' when the fact is the alkalinity is 120 ppm as CaCO3. If there is a question about the labeling usually the numbers give a clue. Numbers of less than 10 would usually indicate mEq/L (unless the hardness is a commensurately small number). The only place you are likely to see alkalinity represented as bicarbonate is in Bru'n water. The magnitude of alkalinity values as ppm bicarbonate is close to the representation as calcium carbonate (61 vs 50 for 1 mEq/L). Ultimately, you can take the numbers and put them into a spreadsheet which calculates all the anions and cations and sums them. In the real physical world that sum will be 0. The unit choice for alkalinity which gives the sum closest to 0 is the right one.

Does it matter?
Yes, it matters a great deal as alkalinity is the most important water parameter because of its effect on mash pH.

There's also the ranges. What do I use in a calculator? The max? The middle of the range?
The value you want is the one for the water you are brewing with on a particular day. If you have a wide variability over the short term you should either measure the alkalinity (easily done with simple kits) or run the water through an RO filter thus removing the alkalinity and the variability.

Or should I just send a sample out to be tested? If so, what's a good place to use for brewing purposes?
Everyone here uses Ward Labs. They offer a very good test for the price.

Call your water company. Ask to speak to the scientist that actually tests the water.

This yields great results. And is educational. I found out that the scientist at my water company is a beer geek. We talked for about an hour.

I also found out my water is pulled for FOUR different wells and my water varies GREATLY from day to day depending on what well(s) is/are being used.

So ... talk to the scientist. Learn where your water comes from and if it is consistent (single water source / no seasonal fluctuation).

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe a lot of people here use this kit. I have no idea how accurate it is and it probably reports the result in ° dH but the instructions should give the conversion to mEq/L and thence to ppm as CaCO3 (multiply by 50). The Hach kits are sort of the gold standard for kits of this sort and guess what? They require more gold.

Latest posts

Back