under filled bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patroclos

Reaction score
Hi,

in the forum I read that under filled bottles are more prone to over carbonation. I would like to show two of my bottles. They have some significant space over the beer so I wonder if those two bottles are too under filled or not. The bottles are quite dark so I marked the top line.
Thanks in advance

:mug:

20160322_212358 copy.jpg

20160322_212221 copy.jpg

Too low. Oxidation will be an issue. Do you have a bottling wand? If not, get one. Fill it to the brim then pull the wand out and you'll have s proper fill.

Meanwhile, don't let it make you crazy. Everyone makes mistakes. It probably won't oxidize right away, it will carb somewhat. Give a couple of weeks in the bottle, three days in the fridge. Drink those first.

Meanwhile, don't let it make you crazy. Everyone makes mistakes. It probably won't oxidize right away, it will carb somewhat. Give a couple of weeks in the bottle, three days in the fridge. Drink those first.
Agreed, I I just kegged 5 gallons of an IPA and realized that the blow of rig ran dry, who knows for how long...at least a week...

Oxidation? maybe some, hopefully there was a co2 blanket.

What I am saying, is that you will still have beer that you made, and it will still be good!

Always remember this, there is no such thing as bad beer, some beer is better than others...

Cheers!

Definitely under-filled. Using a bottling wand (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/plastic-spring-tip-bottle-filler.html), fill the bottle to the top lip, then pull up a couple inches quickly. This stops the flow of beer & pulling the wand out leaves the proper head space by way of volume displacement. This will allow the bottles to carbonate properly in about 3 weeks. Then 5-7 days in the fridge to allow any chill haze to form & settle. and get the trub compacted on the bottom for a clearer pour.

I agree with the oxidation risk, I've experienced it first hand. If anything, they will be undercarbed, not overcarbed, as there is dramatically more headspace to fill/pressurize with CO2 before it will reach equilibrium with the CO2 remaining dissolved in the beer.

Guys thank you very much for the responses. Actually I already used bottling wand but the problem is my beer was already carbonated. I suspected infection but it tastes pretty good. Perhaps the temp of beer during bottling(12degrees celcius) was reason for that carbonation. It contained co2 already.
Because of this carbonation I had big trouble bottling the beer even with bottling wand.

Shouldn't of been any trouble getting the beer into the bottles. That was probably dissolved Co2 from fermenting. A cold liquid holds more gas than a warm one.

Back