? Unconventional ESB. Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebucheron

Reaction score
Just trying to use up some ingredients and was given a Wyeast London ESB yeast to try. I'm not very familiar with the style, but I understand the idea is a biscuity malt brew. Are the oats a bad idea? I'd love your feedback.

(2.5 Gal batch)
4lb 2 row - 70%
.5lb victory - 9%
.5lb Crystal 60L - 9%
0.25lb carapalis - 4%
.25lb white wheat malt OR .25lb caramel wheat malt - 4% (have both, not sure if I already have too much 'caramel' from my crystal or not)
.25 oats - 4%

.5oz glacier (60 min)
.5oz willamette (5min)

Mash @ 152, boil for 60 and pitched w london ESB

This thread is chock full of information about trying to brew ESBs:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/b...on-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/

I highly recommend reading through it. From what I remember the grain bills were all very simple, many using only Marris Otter. I wouldn't discourage you from experimenting, but if you're going for a classic ESB those ingredients might steer you a little far away. That said, I think it's a solid looking grain bill (though might turn out Amber Ale-like considering the percentage of crystal you're using).

That's a lot of crystal for a small batch. I would personally boost it up to a 5 gallon batch by adding 4-5 lbs of maris otter (or another base malt depending on what you have). I normally use that much crystal in a 5 gallon batch and I feel like it would be overpowering in a 2.5 gallon batch.

The oats and wheat would probably be fine. If I remember correctly from my research into historic English ales, they used things like oats or split-peas in their grist and in larger amounts than what your using.

Also, you might want to boost the hops a bit. I typically use a 60-20-0 schedule for my ESBs, and I use upwards of a full ounce for each late addition, but if you don't necessarily like hops it's probably fine.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I'm limited to a 2.5 gal batch due to my equipment limitations (5gal pot BIAB)
I'll cut that crystal in half and add a bit more wheat. I was thinking of cutting the carapalis in half and subing in an equal part of flaked barley (just cause I have it). What would you recommend for hops for a 2.5 gal batch? .5 60min, .5 20min, .5 0min?
4lb 2 row
.5lb victory
.25lb Crystal 60L
0.125lb Maltodextrine
.5lb wheat
.25 oats
.125 flaked barley

I'd hit around a .7 BU/GU ratio (or there abouts). I don't have much experience with the strength of willamette, but the later additions look decent.

Back