Un scented soap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about a year now and have been using Bon Ami un scented free and clear dish soap for general clean up. Unfortunately my grocer discontinued stocking it. What is a good un scented dish soap to use all I can find is scented soap and have been using un scented out of fear of scent causing off flavors. What does everyone else use ?

I don't use soap at all on any of my brewing gear.

I use oxyclean for cleaning my stuff. Or PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash), but it's much more expensive and the generic oxyclean works great for cleaning fermenters and carboys and siphons and things.

I found that my area Dollar General carries a big tub of Sun Oxygen Cleaner for around $4. Check it out.

I use odor free soap on certain parts and have had no issues. Think about what other brewers used before PBW and Oxyclean came available.

Just rinse really well and you're good to go. All PBW is is a detergent just like Oxyclean. I find both of these a pain to wash off of certain surfaces. So it's no different. Just rinse very well.

But, as a precaution, I would say use PBW on your fermenters and bottles if you bottle just to be safe, but I doubt it matters.

Another OXYClean Free user here. Although I keep a tub of PBW on hand in case I ever encounter anything particularly stubborn that OXYClean can't handle. I haven't needed the PBW for several months.

I also occasionally clean my boil kettle with Barkeeper's Friend, especially if company is coming over and I know they're going to want the brewery tour. Gotta have my stuff looking spic-and-span! ;)

Unless you have very hard tap water I have found that high quality dish soaps like Dawn, Palmolive, etc. Rinse off fully with hot water and leave no real scent behind. They are made for dishes, if they left scent behind it would effect the taste of anything you drink out of them. That said my water isn't that hard and hard water doesn't rinse soap off as well.

Wow oxy clean seems to be tops for just about everyone will have to get some and give it a try thanks everybody

Back