un carbonated in "growlers"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilssoninlaw

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newbie to cider making and was wondering about bottling my first 5 gallon batch in beer growlers ( 1/2 gallon) with screw on lids. I plan on killing off the yeast and sweetening the cider lightly.
What problems might I run into if I fill them to the top with no air space and refridgerate them? I didn't want to spend a bunch on bottling or kegging supplies to find out I'm no good at home cider making. Thanks and I love all the info you all post here!!!! :rockin:

How are you planning on killing the yeast? Pasteurization might work, sterile filtration might work, but simply stabilizing the cider (adding K-meta and k-sorbate) won't kill active yeast. I would be nervous about using screw-on lids. Should there be any viable yeast in the growler that yeast will produce CO2 as it ferments the sugar then the only way that excessive pressure on the glass will be released is not by popping a cork or cap but through the glass. But others on this forum with far more experience than I may have a different take.

If you sorbate and backsweeten prior to bottling to make sure all activity is done, then you might be ok in those growlers. I'd dose it and backsweeten in a secondary vessel then bottle. Those screw caps also might let in some O2 over time and you could get some oxidation. Probably best to consume it all fairly quickly.

As bernard said, any viable activity and you are going to be cleaning up a mess. Growlers aren't meant for that much pressure. 2 liter plastic bottles might be a better option. (just in case)

ok...thanks!! I had made wine in the past, used Potassium Sorbate then sweetened with never a problem. Never a blown cork with 100's of gallons made.
I understand nothing is ever 100% but should I not have full confidence in P Sorbate killing off the yeast? I have plenty of empty bottles to bottle my batch, so I guess I will make the small investment in a capper and some caps, thanks!!!

Back