Uh oh! Did i mess it all up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippaBitta

Reaction score
Hey All,

I think I may have just messed up my entire batch of allgrain...this was my second run at an all grain brew.

My first run was a success...so here is what I did this time which has got me worried.

I gathered all my wort...and boiled up what I could but left 10 litres of unboiled wort in my fermenter and than added all my boiled wort to it!!! I was suppose to boil up the 10 litres afterward but got distracted.

In total the brew made 50litres...........

After doing a bit of reading it seems not boiling the wort can lead to some serious issues such as souring and cloudiness.

Is this beer ruined!!??

Should I cross my fingers and pray to the beer gods that this brew somehow miraculously turns out ok.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

RippaBitta

Grain contains tons of nasty bugs and bacteria. Mashing doesn't kill all of them, so you've probably got some bacteria living in your wort. If you haven't pitched yeast yet or fermentation hasn't started, you could reboil, chill, and pitch yeast. If fermentation is well on its way, just cross your fingers and hope for the best.

And learn your lesson: if you can't boil 50 liters of wort, you probably don't have any business brewing 50 liter batches of beer - scale down so you're brewing within your equipment's means and this won't happen again.

Did you already pitch your yeast? If not x2 on the above poster...just reboil the amount you can and you're in business.

Cheers guys,

I had not yet pitched the yeast so I am currently reboiling the whole batch, should i get all to a rolling boil or should just getting it to boiling point and taking it off be enough? Just worried about my hops as I was quite precise in staging them during the boil, but I guess the hops are my least of my worries at this time.

Once again, thank you for the helpful advice. Your right Fat Dragon, I should take more care if I am to brew up such a large quantity.

Cheers,

RippaBitta

Managed to get it all reboiled, I would still like the brew to have a distinct hop aroma and flavour. Should I dry hop to achieve this, if so after how many days in the primary?

Would I just use the same hop I used in the first boil, Centennial? I am happy with the beer's level of bitterness, this was probably emphasized by the second boil.

Any further tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

RippaBitta

Managed to get it all reboiled, I would still like the brew to have a distinct hop aroma and flavour. Should I dry hop to achieve this, if so after how many days in the primary?

Would I just use the same hop I used in the first boil, Centennial? I am happy with the beer's level of bitterness, this was probably emphasized by the second boil.

Any further tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

RippaBitta
If you didn't add some more hops during the second round of boiling then yes, I would toss in an ounce to dry hop. You won't really get bitterness as that comes from boiling the hops, but you'll get aroma. I wait until initial fermentation is done so the krausen drops. I then dry hop for anywhere from 4-7 days depending upon how busy I get.

I second what Hello said! She suggested the same thing for my pale ale, and I dry hopped for the last 5 days with Citra. It gave it a beautiful aroma. Good luck buddy.

Just a question on the science of this. Assuming you mash around 150, runoff, then sparge at 168, then combine the two and they are greater than 160* when combined -- is this adequate to pasteurize?

Thanks Guys,

I pitched the yeast once the wort cooled down to the ideal temp, got an OG of 1.050.

Now to decide whether to dry hop with Centennial, Cascade or Citra :)

Thanks again,

RippaBitta

Just a question on the science of this. Assuming you mash around 150, runoff, then sparge at 168, then combine the two and they are greater than 160* when combined -- is this adequate to pasteurize?

It might depend on how long it stayed at that temperature. I don't know enough about the Biology involved, but I seem to recall reading something along the lines of boiling for 5 minutes, or 180°F for 15 minutes, etc. to achieve pasteurization. But then again, I don't know the temperature threshold for when this curve stops being effective. Hopefully someone can join the conversation and point us in the right direction.

Quick Update:

Beer was held in primary for 10 days @ around 22 degrees celcius.

OG: 1.052 FG: 1.008 = ~5.8 % ABV.

Bottled on 10th day of primary, was dry hopped with an additional 100g of Centennial 4 days prior to bottling.

Today I popped one open just for scientific purposes...wanted to know whether I was dealing with a ruined batch or an absolute treasure.

Luckily I am dealing with the later, the beer has satisfactory carbonation and holds a beautiful golden colour along with a creamy head. The beer is mildly bitter and has hints of orange throughout. I would say this is one of my most successful brews, its so well rounded. The clarity of the beer is passable also, hopefully with time it will clear further. In my next batches I will include additions of irish moss and gelatin to help with the clarity.

Can't wait to see how this beer will taste in a month.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

RippaBitta

Latest posts

Back