Ugh Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the best place to ask this question but hell, I'm posting it here anyways.

Well we all know we hate having to clean up after brewing but right now I'm having the worst time trying to clean my fermentation bucket. I currently have a 7 gallon aqua tank that I use.

Reason being is so it can fit in my current fridge. It's been working really well although cleaning is a bit of a pain. I just finished bottling the Lemon Lime Hefeweizen recipe that I actually found on here (can't wait for it to finish carbonating). I'm trying to clean the blow off tube that I used for the airlock and the top of the fermenter. Here is the problem. The gunk in the fermenter is stuck to the top and I can't fit my hand in there to clean it. I have a carboy brush but it can't reach those hard places. Same thing is happening with the tube. My brush is too big to fit in it. I've tried soaking it in water for 24 hours with soap and it didn't do a damn thing. Is there another I can get those hard to reach areas?

Try soaking with PBW or Oxiclean. Use a lot of cleaner with very hot water. Soak for a day or two.

Here's a link to a kegging,etc supply that sells 66" long line cleaning brushes in 3/16" & 3/8". I'm getting one on the 1st; http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/cleaning/brushes/NHCB38.html They also have a promotion going on right now for a $10 E-Gift card for signing up for their E-Mail newsletter. Cha-ching!
I need the long brush to use with PBW to clean my tubing for bottling wand,blow offs,racking tubes & the like. It'll def improve sanitation.

I've had blowoff tubes crust up so bad that it was t worth it to try to clean. I soaked them in Straight A for days and it didn't help. Thankfully tubing is cheap.

You can also soak those fermenters with a couple TBSP of PBW & fill it to above the crud line with water. Let it sit overnight,& it should all soak loose.
I fill tubing that isn't too long with PBW solution of 1.5oz per gallon of water to soak a few hours,then use my aquarium lift tube brushes to quickly scrub the inside clean. Looks like new,but the longer 66" brush will make cleaning the long tubes easier. Alcohol won't clean them like PBW will,since it's formulated for brewery cleaning.

Latest posts

Back