Ug, a bottle bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightnorth

Reaction score
I'm having trouble believing that I didn't mix the sugar well or had a bottle infection. I gave two cases of beer to a friend and he placed it in his car while he worked (a Belgian Pale and a Porter). The temps were high 80's today and high humidity. Inside the car could have been over 100. He was pretty upset when he came back to his car and found two bottles were exploded and I feel pretty sick about it too. I've inspected pretty thoroughly all my other bottles already and don't see any problems. Should I get the case back from the guy or might this be isolated? I told him to get them in a safe place and hope I can get the smell out of his car. Would refrigeration help?

A good deed gone bad. That sucks. Refridgeration will help. It won't kill off the yeasts but will slow them down. The colder the better and don't let them warm back up.

Ha, high 80's, and it may have reach 100 deg? More like 120 or so.
Don't feel bad, it's not your fault (unless you told him it would fine).

Back