Tying Knots In The Devils Tail Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S05
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 64F
Ingredients :

5# of 2 Row
4# of Smoked 2 Row
4# Flaked Oats
1# Caramel 120L
8 Oz Chocolate (350) SRM
8 Oz Carafa III
1 Oz Magnum Hops 60 min

Something I have been thinking about for awhile now. So after finishing another Holiday Beer I used the S05 Yeast Cake from that for this one.

The 2 Row I cold smoked in my smoker for 45 min with hickory. I started off smaller amounts rather than smoking the whole 10 pounds... around 4 pounds or so.

If the diastatic power of the smoked 2-Row was reduced to zero, you may have trouble getting this recipe to convert. It may be safer to use 5# of 6-Row rather than 2-Row, to take advantage of its higher diastatic enzyme content.

If the diastatic power of the smoked 2-Row was reduced to zero, you may have trouble getting this recipe to convert. It may be safer to use 5# of 6-Row rather than 2-Row, to take advantage of its higher diastatic enzyme content.
I came pretty close to hitting my numbers gravity wise. My efficiency with my CBS system has never been that great to begin with.
Will smoking the malt reduce that? The smoke wasnt that strong, but I figured I would go lighter rather that heavy on the smoke until i knew how it would come out.

Will smoking the malt reduce that? The smoke wasnt that strong, but I figured I would go lighter rather that heavy on the smoke until i knew how it would come out.

I have no experience with smoking malts. If you get good conversion, then there is no concern.

I have no experience with smoking malts. If you get good conversion, then there is no concern.

I get about what I usually get with my CBS eBIAB rig... not great but I gave up trying to get better with it and just enjoy brewing more :)
getting my own mill helped a little bit... but only about 205 of the grain is actually smoked... and probably not much at that... just wondering if/how the smoke would effect conversion?

I get about what I usually get with my CBS eBIAB rig... not great but I gave up trying to get better with it and just enjoy brewing more :)
getting my own mill helped a little bit... but only about 205 of the grain is actually smoked... and probably not much at that... just wondering if/how the smoke would effect conversion?

As malts are additionally kilned beyond what is required of a base malt their diastatic power is progressively diminished until at some juncture it reaches zero. The higher the level of applied kilning, the greater the depletion of the diastatic enzymes. I was merely equating malt smoking to kilning at some additional level. The smoke itself most likely having nothing to do with this.

As malts are additionally kilned beyond what is required of a base malt their diastatic power is progressively diminished until at some juncture it reaches zero. The higher the level of applied kilning, the greater the depletion of the diastatic enzymes. I was merely equating malt smoking to kilning at some additional level. The smoke itself most likely having nothing to do with this.
Well I cold smoked this malt... not sure if I mentioned that or not. no heat other than drying at about 130 for couple hours was used

I can definitely tell the smoke but I dont think it's too overpowering. Glad I didn't smoke all the grain that would have been too much I think...should age nicely I think.

20190112_170037.jpg

Latest posts

Back