TYB Saison Brett Blend / TYB Dry Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanmbeal

Reaction score
Here's the 2nd and 3rd of my Yeast Bay experiments...

10 gallons
SG 1.055
IBUs 20 Tinseth
Mash at 150F

Best Pils 70.00% 14.1 lbs
2 Row 14.00% 2.8 lbs
Rye 11.00% 2.8 lbs
Wheat 5.00% 1.0 lbs

Magnum 14.2% 60 min 0.5 oz
German Tett 2.6% 30 min 1.0 oz
German Tett 2.6% 15 min 1.0 oz
German Tett 2.6% 5 min 1.0 oz

Split into two 5 gallon batches with one getting: The Yeast Bay Dry Belgian 1/2 gal Starter
The other pitched with: The Yeast Bay Saison/Brettanomyces Blend with no starter

Aerate each for 45 mins with aquarium pump
Ferment at 70-71F

The Dry Belgian finished at 1.004 in under 2 weeks (probably sooner but I wasn't paying close attention)
The Saison/Brett Blend finished at 1.007 in about 4 weeks

Tasting Notes - Saison/Brett Blend: Cleared up nicely, better than the picture shows. More golden in color. Nice white head but it dissipates quickly. Earthy Brett, slight funk, fruity sweet orange, and some pils malt in the nose. Funky notes are very slight in the flavor but the earthy, orange notes continue. Spicy esters and a soft, well rounded, distinctly belgian character fill out the flavor profile. Medium mouthfeel which is better than expected for such a light malt bill. A very nice departure from the standard French and Belgian Saison strains out there, highly drinkable, demonstrates some great complexity without being overwhelming. I will definitely use this blend again for saisons.

Tasting Notes - Dry Belgian: Cleared nicely, straw colored. Nice white head that persists for a while. Aroma of apple and pear as noted by TYB's description, which are also noted in the flavor along with some spicy/peppery notes. Finished crisp and dry. I expect the apple/pear notes might be considered distracting by some but the Belgian character complements them nicely I think. I might prefer this yeast with a slightly more malty base, some vienna and/or very light crystal malt. Currently using the yeast cake from this batch to make a simple, traditional Tripel. I highly expect high attenuation and am interested in tasting what a bigger malt bill will do with this blend.

Dry Belgian is on the left of the picture and Saison/Brett on the right.

IMG_1333.jpg

Why no starter for the Brett blend? Just curious, since I just received mine in the mail and was wondering if:
1. A vial is enough to properly ferment a 1.05-is batch?
2. A starter will throw off the sacch-brett ratio?

Both reasons you cite for no starter.

But for me mostly to test out the proper ratio question though, some things I've read seem to say that Sacc/Brett blends can do a standard starter w/o throwing the ratio off. I've got my second beer with this yeast fermenting now, which I pitched on the cake of this first beer, we'll see if the yeast character changes dramatically or if at all.

And FYI the Saison/Brett blend was fermenting vigorously within 24 hours despite not making a starter.

Back