two questions on water & hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBrob

Reaction score
I jumped before checking the water, in other word i took my well water and just filled the primary with out boiling it first. how bad can this be &can it be fixed? its been in the primary 4 days & the airlock bubbles every10 second. the other dumb thing is just throw the hops in without one of them there bags. the pellets really look messy in there. can i make a screen to catch this stuff? i was thinking of makeing a tube as long as the bucket about 3 inches in dia. to catch it & just lift the screen out when the siphon was done. yes it will be clean and made from stainless. this would go in the bottling bucket for straining.

1) I will assume your well water is potable. With that assumption, since fermentation is going fine, you should be okay.

2) I use hops pellets all the time, without a net. I find that the hops will either float at the top after fermentation, or they become trub and fall to the bottom. Either way, no problems. Making a screen will not really help, as you would have to get to filter level to get rid of anything that might be floating in the beer after fermentation (this is my experience, and anything like that is usually yeast).

I jumped before checking the water, in other word i took my well water and just filled the primary with out boiling it first.

I am new to brewing, and our water is a little sulfur smelling with sediment , so I use bottle water. Its only 83 cents at wally world so its worth it to not even take a chance.

If you drink your water, and it has no off smells and isnt hard, my guess you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back