Two Homebrew Stores, Two Efficiencies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yard_bird

Reaction score
I’ve been brewing with ingredients from the same homebrew store for five or so years. The store is pretty popular and the staff are very knowledgeable about brewing. When I started doing all-grain batches, my efficiency hovered between 60-65%.

At my job, there’s a hole in the wall fermentation store down the street. Their specialty is wine and cheese making so I can’t blame them when they don’t know all of the answers to my brewing questions. However, I noticed when I buy my grain from this store, my efficiency is in the middle to upper 70s for the same recipes.

I’ve thought about this for some time, and without doing my due diligence and brewing the exact same recipe with the ingredients from one store as one batch and the ingredients from the other store as a second batch, what are some variables that may be different between the grain from the two stores? My thought is the difference between the two stores mills, any other ideas?

Thanks.

I’ve been brewing with ingredients from the same homebrew store for five or so years. The store is pretty popular and the staff are very knowledgeable about brewing. When I started doing all-grain batches, my efficiency hovered between 60-65%.

At my job, there’s a hole in the wall fermentation store down the street. Their specialty is wine and cheese making so I can’t blame them when they don’t know all of the answers to my brewing questions. However, I noticed when I buy my grain from this store, my efficiency is in the middle to upper 70s for the same recipes.

I’ve thought about this for some time, and without doing my due diligence and brewing the exact same recipe with the ingredients from one store as one batch and the ingredients from the other store as a second batch, what are some variables that may be different between the grain from the two stores? My thought is the difference between the two stores mills, any other ideas?

Thanks.
Grain crush. I agree.

DU99, I was thinking about that earlier today too. I think the big store I go to does Briess. No idea on the second store.

CrushityCrushCrush. Absolutely my first thought. But this is the internet and we're all just guessing.

Grain crush can make a huge difference in efficiency. That’s most likely your culprit. Different mill gap settings between the two stores. However as others have suggested, invest in your own mill. Just another variable in your brew day you will have more control over, giving you more repeatable results

Thanks for all the help. I guess it’s chalkboard time with regards to a home built mill. Next step is a stockpile of base malts.

Similar issue. When I am in PA I buy from a LBHS in Bethlehem. Great place nice people. Otherwise I buy on Long Island, and again another nice place good people. But I am now noticing that I get better efficiency from the PA store, which makes me think they are more attentive to proper milling vs my local store. Now I have taken the plunge and purchased a mill so that issue should go away.

Thanks for all the help. I guess it’s chalkboard time with regards to a home built mill. Next step is a stockpile of base malts.

Both great ideas but have you considered what it costs to build a mill and the time involved? You might be better served by buying a mill now and building your own later if you think you can improve the results or simply want the challenge. Lost of us do just fine with a Corona style mill that can be purchased for around $20. For example:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zimtown-...ns-Shelled-Nuts-Commercial-Home-Use/707023671

If you want something a little higher end than a corona, take a look at a Cereal Killer mill. They go for about $99.
Plus one on the cereal killer. I bought mine after my local Homebrew shop closed up, and started milling my own grains. Its great to be able to adjust crush on my own.

Both variables, crush and source, can affect the efficiency. You could ask each what gap they use and do they adjust for different grains. And what kind of mill they use also. Just curious, does either one charge you for milling? If not, I'm sure one, especially the primary one, would be happy to sell you a grain mill! I know as a LHBS owner that doesn't charge for milling, I love customers that mill their own grain:yes::yes:

If you want something a little higher end than a corona, take a look at a Cereal Killer mill. They go for about $99.
Adventures in Homebrewing had a 15% discount over the weekend, for purchases > $49, so I took the plunge and ordered the cereal killer which came out to $85 delivered. It arrived yesterday, and its a pretty robust piece of equipment. In regards to milling at my LHBS, they don't charge and the realization that they were milling differently was a very recent ah ha moment. I think going forward I would pay more attention to how they mill, but now I will be milling at home, so there's no point, but maybe someone else will learn from my experience.

Adventures in Homebrewing had a 15% discount over the weekend, for purchases > $49, so I took the plunge and ordered the cereal killer which came out to $85 delivered. It arrived yesterday, and its a pretty robust piece of equipment. In regards to milling at my LHBS, they don't charge and the realization that they were milling differently was a very recent ah ha moment. I think going forward I would pay more attention to how they mill, but now I will be milling at home, so there's no point, but maybe someone else will learn from my experience.

There's a meme out there--probably at least partially true--that many Homebrew stores crush very coarsely so brewers don't get stuck mashes or sparges.

Naturally, crushing coarsely means you'll need more grain to get to a certain gravity, something you've already discovered. :) And that means they can sell more grain.

Congrats on the new mill--IMO that's a great price for that mill. Never have I seen it that low.

Grain: Every brand, season, batch and lot number, will have a slightly different potential and yield. You may see a small difference.

Age: As grains age, their enzymatic activity can decrease.

LHBS: Some are excellent and will never substitute, and you know exactly what maltster and brand is in the bin. Some suck and couldn't tell you what a particular grain is. I've seen shops combine similar and substitute almost anything for almost anything else as long as its kinda close.

Crush: Can make a huge difference. It's well worth the money to invest in your own mill. Set your gap and grind everything at home. If you brew enough, buy your base malts in bulk also. Saves a ton of money, stores well, and you always know what you have. You may not think you'll use it, but it can be surprising how fast a 50 pound bag can disappear. I always stock Maris Otter (my go to 2-row), German pilsner (wheats, lagers, pilsners, saisons, etc), and wheat (wheats, wits, some stouts, maybe saisons, etc).

And now with a mill you can relax, content in the knowledge that not buying pre-milled grain means it will be fresher when you make it. I'm pretty sure it earns you rainbow unicorn points but I've misplaced my card and stopped keeping track...

Back