Two different packages of priming sugar!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirmanCali

Reaction score
Howdy all,

My first post in the middle of my second homebrew batch. First one was a Honey Porter that everyone loves. Fun! Second is a Belgian Saison. So far so good. I'm cooling the wurt. For some reason the kit I bought includes two packages of priming sugar: 5 oz and 1 lb. I'm not sure what the 1 lb one is for. Should I be adding it when I add yeast before fermentation? Help! Sorry not to have scrolled through the other posts in search of the answer to my question. Time is of the essence and I'm trying to pull this off with a 1 and a 3 year old. I know, I know. I'm ready for a beer right now. The homebrew supply store is closed - it's Labor Day. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Aaron in Norcal.

The 1 lb is likely part of the fermentables in the recipe, so you can add it at flameout. Saisons usually have some simple sugar to dry them out. Do you have the recipe?

Recipe only mentions yeast. And forgive me for a stupid question. Flameout is the end of the 60 minute boil? It's cooling now.

Ooh. ... I would have advised if the recipe didn't mention it, don't use it.

But no harm in adding it at the end of boil for an extra boost. What kind of beer was it and what was the recipe.

====edit
Ah, if it's a Saison than it probably was meant as a fermentable. Did the recipe list the ingredients at all, or was it generic "this is the general method for beer in general" recipe?

Back