Two corny keg questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacticacid

Reaction score
I am new to kegging my beer and have two issues.

The first one is that nothing but a trickle is coming out of one keg. I sanitized it and was able to transfer the star San out of it and into another keg through the faucet fine. Transferred beer into the keg and presurized it and now nothing comes out. The keg is pressurized and beer flows from another keg on the same manifold. I think I may have transferred some dry hops into the keg as there are some particulates in the line. If I let it sit will they drop out? Any other ideas?

The second issue is that the keg I transferred the sanitizer into when I pressurized it had a slight leak through the top of the beverage out. Does this just need a new poppet?

For the first issue, take the keg apart in a "clean" manner, and check for any clogs. Sanitize everything and reassemble. Then check the manifold for problems.

For the second issue, I would change the seals first as they are cheaper and should stop any leaks. If not, then change entire post.

Yes if it is leaking out of the center of the post, your poppet is the problem many have found that keg lube can take care of this. I would replace it poppets are not that costly compared to the loss of 5 gallons of beer and the loss of co2. Do yourself a favor and get at least one full set of replacement 0-rings and poppets for emergencies..............my.02

I am new to kegging my beer and have two issues.

The first one is that nothing but a trickle is coming out of one keg. I sanitized it and was able to transfer the star San out of it and into another keg through the faucet fine. Transferred beer into the keg and presurized it and now nothing comes out. The keg is pressurized and beer flows from another keg on the same manifold. I think I may have transferred some dry hops into the keg as there are some particulates in the line. If I let it sit will they drop out? Any other ideas?

If the Out dip tube is clogged it is unlikely to clear itself, and there's a good chance the Out post poppet is clogged as well. So you'll have to depressurize the keg, remove the Out post, flush out any blockage around the poppet, then pull the dip tube and clear that, too. Spray all the parts with Star-San solution in a spray bottle and reassemble, and hope it doesn't all get clogged up again.

The second issue is that the keg I transferred the sanitizer into when I pressurized it had a slight leak through the top of the beverage out. Does this just need a new poppet?

If the leak is on top of the post, the poppet isn't sealing. But sometimes you just need to "blip" the poppet - a quick push and let it snap back - to get it to seal. Otoh, if the leak is at the base of the Out post, it's most likely an O-ring issue...

Cheers!

you can also put a "liquid out" connector on the CO2 tank and plug it into the liquid out post. turn the CO2 on and release some pressure in the keg. that will force CO2 into the dip tube and blow any clogs out. then you hope that whatever debris doesnt get stuck again.

Back