Turning into beer snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarek82

Reaction score
I hope not, but my neighbor stoppped over yesterday evening and he mentioned that he hit up a brewpub over the weekend(+1!). He told me that his favorite was an oatmeal stout because it reminded him of Guinness(-150).

This hasn't been the first time someone has compared a beer to Guinness just because it's dark. So just like other times, this time I just bit my tongue and deflected the conversation to another topic.

How does one handle this situation without coming off all pompous? It seems like a good educational oppurtunity, but I just don't know how to do it without being an ass.

Maybe it did taste like Guinness? There is more than 1 flavor of Guinness you know...

+1

It was a stout, right? At least they are in the same category. Try and encourage your friend and ask what flavors or qualities of the beer they enjoyed. Then you can tell them other craft beers they may enjoy. You have to consider what someone elses knowledge is so you understand where they derive their comparisons. I once had a friend say my APA tasted kind of like a blue moon. Knowing that only this friend drinks is BMC and occasionally a blue moon I can understand where he is coming from. The connection is a citrusy flavor. Its all relative.

Not everybody knows as much as you about beer. There's probably things you don't know that much about that makes others cringe inside. Sounds like he is trying to enjoy beer and is willing to drink good beer. No reason to get bent out of shape and say something that might discourage him. He might develop more knowledge and a better palate over time.

Seems to me he knows you're into beer, and he was trying to make conversation. :shurg:

It is entirely possible that the beer was similar to Guinness... after all, if you were to swap the flaked barley for oatmeal in Guinness it would become *ding* oatmeal stout.

Even if that were not the specific case here, if the fellow had only had a small number of stouts in his life, he would likely be focusing on similarities, not differences. Any other stout is going to taste more like Guinness than, for example Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Every thing that is not yellow is "like Guinness" to people who typically don't drink different beers.They're simply not aware of the range of styles out there. They know it wasn't fizzy and yellow, therefore it's Guinness. I've had Pale Ale's referred to as "like Guinness". They simply don't know another way to describe a beer with flavor. Smile, and be polite, but not pretentious, about explaining differences, but only as much as they care to know. Some people want to know everything and are truly interested. Some are just making conversation and a simple nod is all that's needed.

I don't really see the problem. Maybe it's not exactly the same as Guinness, but I'm fairly well versed in beer and would say that virtually any stout might remind someone of another. So I don't think it's fair to say he's wrong in any sense, who are you (or anyone else) to tell him that it doesn't remind him of a dry stout just because it's a somewhat different style?

The simplest answer is just not to be a snob. Recognize that everyone's tastes are different and that sensory perception is perhaps the most personal of experiences.

It didn't sound like an educational opportunity to me, so I'm glad you didn't "correct" him. Telling someone they're wrong when they express an opinion is, as you feared, going to make you seem like an ass. Not necessarily pompous, that depends on what you say and how you say it, but it's best just to leave it there. If you've tasted the particular beer in question and don't agree that they're all alike, you could say something, I suppose. "That's interesting, the last oatmeal stout I tried was really XXX," might be ok. But don't think that it's your responsibility to educate this guy, that's really the wrong attitude to take. People don't need to be taught to understand what they taste.

What's wrong with Guinness? Never take beer seriously - its fermented sugar with a bittering agent - I mean I drink Bud if that's all they have and I'm hanging with friends. There's a time and a place for being a total beer dork and its usually at a beer fest or with friends you know homebrew or know alot about beer.

The wine scene is totally lame & a full on scam b/c of this snob factor...don't turn beer into that - it's the people's drink!

It is entirely possible that the beer was similar to Guinness...

Oatmeal Stout has a lot of roasted grains in it, just like Guinness. It was also a stout, just like Guinness. So, compared to most other beer on the market, I'd say it probably would remind him of Guinness. I have no problem whatsoever drawing that comparison. At least he didn't compare it to Sam Adams Boston Lager or something.

All that being said, I generally don't even get into beer conversations with people who aren't into beer. They just don't understand, and it's tough to describe without sounding pompous.

At a recent business function, we went to some seafood place. I asked about beer that was available. Bud, Bud Light, Michelob Ultra, etc. I ordered a Gin and Tonic. One of my coworkers asked about why I didn't get a beer, and I told him they didn't have anything I was interested in. He then asked "Well, what is your beer of choice?" I just briefly explained that I like a huge variety of beer, but typically not mass produced yellow lager and left it at that.

I actually like a Guinness every now and then. Heck, I have a very similar home version in the fermentor as we speak!

smarek82 said:
I hope not, but my neighbor stoppped over yesterday evening and he mentioned that he hit up a brewpub over the weekend(+1!). He told me that his favorite was an oatmeal stout because it reminded him of Guinness(-150).

This hasn't been the first time someone has compared a beer to Guinness just because it's dark. So just like other times, this time I just bit my tongue and deflected the conversation to another topic.

How does one handle this situation without coming off all pompous? It seems like a good educational oppurtunity, but I just don't know how to do it without being an ass.

have you had the stout he referenced? perhaps you did, but if not, I don't understand how you're in any position to criticize his perception, especially to the tune of -150 points. ;) You could ask him about what characteristics reminded him if guinness if you'd like to know more about what led him to that comparison, and that could be a gateway to more discussion.

perhaps I'm wrong, but you appear to assume that he it's comparing it to guinness solely because it's dark, but how do you know that's guys only reason? Maybe he told you that. If not, i advocate asking for more info from him before trying to get all educational on him.

As stephen covey says, seek first to understand, then be understood. That is, imo, a good way to avoid sounding like a pompous blowhard in situations like this. :D

Tips to not being a beer snob

Never ***** about a free cold beer. Even BMC. It's free.

Never tell people what they should or should not drink unless they specifically ask for your input.

Never talk down to people who may not be familiar with all beer styles.

Never tell people what they should or should not drink unless they specifically ask for your input.

Very well said!

I do like Guinness as well and yes, I did have this particular beer my neighbor was talking about. The oatmeal stout is full bodied and has higher ABV. Roastiness is def there, but the body is what really differentiates the two in my perception. I'm glad that he enjoyed it mainly because he drinks nothing but Miller Lite.

I guess I was just jumping to conclusions thinking he thought it was similar to Guinness because of the color.

I guess I have to brew a Black IPA or something similar with dark malts and restrained roastiness and really see if he thinks it's similar to Guinness:D

All in all he's a great guy. He knows how to weld, so I need to keep him close if I ever want to build a brewstand!

Good talk Russ!

There is no educational opportunity in this, he compared a stout to a stout. Seems pretty simple to me.

Beer snobbery sucks, it would have been easy to ask about other beers at the brewpub or just beer in general.

I was looking for a good way to say what you just said.
Brother you couldn't have stated it any better.

I do like Guinness as well and yes, I did have this particular beer my neighbor was talking about. The oatmeal stout is full bodied and has higher ABV. Roastiness is def there, but the body is what really differentiates the two in my perception. I'm glad that he enjoyed it mainly because he drinks nothing but Miller Lite.

So one thing there is that for someone who is well versed in beer, the difference in body may be easily perceptible, but if you look at the difference in mouthfeel between Miller lite and Guinness, and the difference between guinness and an oatmeal stout... well, no wonder he thinks its like guinness.

Anyways, in a case like this, you could just easily have said "yeah, i see where you're coming from on that. for me, the oatmeal stout has a thicker mouthfeel. Did you notice that at all?" not preachy, just pointing out a characteristic he might think about next time he tries it. if he's interested in why the body is different, then he can ask questions and you will have all kinds of chances to educate him.

Special Hops said:

+1. If you do these things you may just be a d#$che bag and not a beer snob.

You need to take the reference AND THE PERSON GIVING IT into consideration.

Quick story:
Last year I brewed a Blonde easy drinking lightly hopped with cascaede hops beer for my FIL 60th B-day. On of his friends whom I never meet before and will prob never see again and I had a conversation as follows... Please keep in mind I was standing around and he approached me.

Him: Did you really make this?
Me: Yes
Him: I really like the flavor it has, It tastes a lot like Guinness, you know what a mean?
Me: Yes, I like the flavor as well. I prefer my beers to have good flavor. What is your favorite craft beer and what do you normally drink?
Him: I do not know about craft beer, I drink Miller and I had a Guinness a few times and this really reminds me of that.
Me: Thanks! I appreciate the complement. Please feel free to have as much of either the Miller Lite or mine. I also encourage you to try some local craft beers that are made here in the state.*Insert some mild local craft beers here.
Him: Oh, I am drinking as much of yours as I can handle!
Me: Great. I have to go help with the food, talk to you later.

This guy was trying to complement me but if I took what he said at face value it would have been insulting to compare a Blonde to Guinness. I know it is hard to believe but there are people out there that have little to no "beer knowledge".

Later at the party I let him sample a few other brews so he could get a grasp on some other styles. Nice guy, really smart but no beer knowledge at all.

:tank:

Thanks for all the advice and comments. I've only been brewing for 4 years and DO NOT WANT TO BECOME A BEER SNOB. Happy Brewing.

What's wrong with Guinness? Never take beer seriously - its fermented sugar with a bittering agent - I mean I drink Bud if that's all they have and I'm hanging with friends. There's a time and a place for being a total beer dork and its usually at a beer fest or with friends you know homebrew or know alot about beer.

The wine scene is totally lame & a full on scam b/c of this snob factor...don't turn beer into that - it's the people's drink!

+1 besides Guiness is the one the all bitter beers get compared to by many. So many can say they had a Guiness and many did not like it(lol me included, but im not a fan of stouts). So any time after that they taste a dry/bitter beer that is what they are reminded of.

BMC should be free.

Let me add some:

Never assume that because a brand of beer is popular, it must be swill. Remember, even the big boys were microbreweries at one time.

If you don't care for a particular style of beer, that doesn't mean it is bad beer. It just means you don't like it.

People like what they like. Don't try to "educate" them. All you are going to do is piss them off. They don't scold you for drinking your homebrew or micro. Don't scold them for drinking their macro.

Ignore the comment and just smile.

That's what I did when someone said my sweet stout was "Like Guinness but with more flavor". I took the win and said "Yeah, pretty much". Correcting people who just aren't into beer isn't cool. The most important thing is that they like what they're drinking.

I feel like I know beer fairly well but the other day I bought some Guinness to cook my corned beef in so of course I drank one then I went to my local HBS and had a taste of oatmeal stout that was brewed by the manager. I told him that I just had a Guinness and his beer was much better. Did I offend him?

There is a reason why you find a beer in a bottle or can-because people like it.

I feel like I know beer fairly well but the other day I bought some Guinness to cook my corned beef in so of course I drank one then I went to my local HBS and had a taste of oatmeal stout that was brewed by the manager. I told him that I just had a Guinness and his beer was much better. Did I offend him?

No one will be offended by hearing their beer is good.

I hope all you beer snobs buy your beef from a butcher, your vegetables fresh from a farmer and that your milk comes straight from the cow's tap... Really get over yourselves already..

Because you make yourself out to be better than everyone... and your not!!

I guess that depends on how you define beer snob. My desire to not drink shyte beer doesn't mean i think i'm better than anyone else, it just means i don't want to drink shyte beer.

and it's you're, not your. ;)

BrewKnurd, I agree However, when you decide to voice that desire, that makes you a snob!! Thanks for correcting my grammer... I know that's important on here..

Back