Turning a kit into pumpkin beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILJONNYWV

Reaction score
I have a boston red ale partial mash kit from midwest and I thought about adding some spices and pumkin to make a pumkin beer. Has anyone made this kit or think it would be good to do?

Yeah a red will make for a good pumpkin ale base.

Get a small can of Libby's pumpkin puree (non-spiced) and add that to your partial mash. Later, when there's only 10 miuntes left to the boil, add 1.5 tablespoons of McCormick's Pumpkin Pie Spice (I have found my absolute best results from using this instead of making my own mix)

Voila! Pumpkin Ale. You can even choose to nix the pumpkin puree if it seems like a pain to you. You don't really get very much flavor from the actual pumpkin anyway... the "pumpkin" flavor comes from the spices.

If you're confident you can prevent a stuck sparge then mash it. Otherwise boil it.

Boil then. 45-90 minutes. Also, you should probably toast the puree at 350F for 30-45 minutes first

I did this with a Northern Brewer Cream Ale extract kit last fall. Pumpkin was unavailable due to crop shortage so I just used pumpkin pie spice in the secondary and it turned out awesome. Everything I read indicates that the pumpkin really doesn't contribute much if anything. If you've ever tasted pumpkin it really doesn't have much flavor at all.

Latest posts

Back