Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattsbay18

Reaction score
My father in law gave me a turkey fryer a few years back, which I still haven't used. Do you think this would be a suitable substitute for a brew kettle?

Disclosure: new to the brewing business, I'm very green around the gills so any tips are welcome.

Hi Matt,

I would say if its been used before and has oil residue on it, I would not use the pot... The reasoning is that if it has oil in it or embedded in it, if you boil your wort in that you may impart that residue and flavor into the finished beer, creating zero head retention and not great flavors...

Now the good news is that kettles are fairly cheap and if you are just starting out, you can easily pick up a good sized aluminum pot to put on that turkey fryer stand. Since you are starting out, also consider looking into Stainless Steel pots, as they are quite frankly a better product, easier to clean, and are considered the standard across brewers here. Welcome to the forums.

That's what I use for five gallon batches. I do BIAB in a 10 gal cooler and gravity feed to the 7.5 gal fryer pot. If you're careful with control of the burner you can avoid boil overs and get 5.5 gal in your fermenter.

Everyone will tell you bigger is better but quite honestly I don't think my beer would be any different if I had a larger kettle. It would just give me the opportunity to tell the next guy, "get a 10/15/20 gal pot" so he could be just like me.

Yep, makes a great brew pot. I have two.

Give it some serious 'oil removal residue' cleaning/scrubbing. Rinse, rinse and then perform a full to the top with water boil for re-oxidizing the interior. You're good to go.

Never scrub the interior again, just a gentle cleaning and rinse.

Now get a brewing kit (go deluxe if you can swing it), an ingredient kit of your favorite beer and get busy. :)

Hint: There are usually some sweet package deals centered around Black Friday.

'da Kid

Thanks for the replies. I think I will wash the pot and give it a try. I'll upgrade to an aluminum pot when I get the hang of things.

Back