Tulip Poplar honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarBeard1980

Reaction score
I like the idea of making a dark mead, but don't want to go as heavy as Buckwheat. I've read that Tulip Poplar honey is dark and complex but is sweeter. I cannot find an online source for it ANYWHERE. Even honey.com has vendors listed for it, but upon visiting their sites, I don't see it listed on anyone's storefronts. Anyone have a vendor for this? :tank:

Taken from: http://www.tenonanatche.com/tulip-poplar-black-locust-honey.htm

From about the last week of October (after we harvest the Wildflower Autumn Honey) thru April some of our hives are trucked to The Delmarva Peninsula to winter over in a milder climate and to get an earlier start in the spring than they would in Upstate NY. Tulip Poplar and Black Locust trees bloom about the same time down there and this honey is derived form the nectar of their blossoms.

It is indeed a great honey for making a traditional all on its own, but not every year is a good one for the flowers, in our area we had a rainy period during bloom so it washed out the honey crop. We have the trees on our property, hoping this year will be good. Frost got our locust blooms really bad this past spring, its very good for cysers and elderflower meads.

Back