Trying to troubleshoot my keg carbonation problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebogey10

Reaction score
Having a carbonation issue. Not sure where it is coming from. Here's the background. Sorry for lengthy post, but I can't figure out the problem so including every detail.
I have a four-keg keezer with a Johnson digital temp controller. Recently built this and a friend helped me get it all set up, put together and running.
I recently took three of the kegs out, cleaned them and the lines, and filled with new batches. I put two back in the keezer and kept the third out to let it clean up a bit more. Hooked up the lines again and started gassing the two new kegs.
And then I wan out of CO2. So, took the tank out and the next day, had it filled at LHBS and went to hook up gas again. At this point, I noticed that my digital temp controller had fallen out of the keezer and there was frost on the sides of the kegs in there (two new batches and a existing, nearly-empty batch of porter.
All three were frozen to different degrees. Took them all out, let them warm slowly to defrost, and the next day, I put them back in the keezer along with the other new batch (a Belgian) that hadn't been on gas yet.
Hooked up gas on all four kegs and started to charge at about 20-25 PSI. After about four days, I tried all four. The Belgian was partly carbonated but the other three were all flat. I upped gas to 30 for a couple days. The Belgian is about ready. The other three are flat.
Why?
If one keg was flat, I can see how a leak somewhere would be a culprit.
If all four, maybe a leak coming off the regulator. But three of four?
I have two ball lock and two pin lock kegs.
The only common thread between the three kegs that aren't charging was the frozen issue. That's what I am thinking but I don't know what impact that could or would have had, and how that would affect carbonation.
Of the three that are still flat, one (a Porter) was previously charged.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Thoughts?

"Train wreck" comes to mind.

Waaaay too much going on here.

Leaks, frozen beer, over-carbed and under-carbed kegs, too much pressure being applied for too long.

I'll have to sober up before I could take a shot at this mess...

Cheers though! :mug:

Thoughts?

"Train wreck" comes to mind.

Waaaay too much going on here.

Leaks, frozen beer, over-carbed and under-carbed kegs, too much pressure being applied for too long.

I'll have to sober up before I could take a shot at this mess...

Cheers though! :mug:

I have to agree here. Bleed all the kegs, set the pressure to about 10-12 pounds, make sure all valves are open, wait a week or two then let us know what you have.

Latest posts

Back